Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating a list of all excel sheets in a directory

carrera
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I am a total newbie in Alteryx Designer and need your help. I would like to create a list with all sheets of excel files from a directory. I am not interested in the content of the sheets (yet). I just want a list in the form:

RecordSheet NamesPath
1Sheet 1...\file1.xlsx|||'Sheet 1$'
2Sheet 2...\file1.xlsx|||'Sheet 2$'
3Sheet 3...\file1.xlsx|||'Sheet 3$'
4Sheet 1...\file2.xlsx|||'Sheet 1$'
5Sheet 2...\file2.xlsx|||'Sheet 2$'
6Sheet 1...\file3.xlsx|||'Sheet 1$'
7Sheet 1...\file4.xlsx|||'Sheet 1$'

I tried a batch macro for this: Read in Multiple Excel Files, with Multiple Tabs that have Different Schemas (alteryx.com) but omitted the second part (macro), since I don't want to open the sheets.

Unfortunately, this does not work as desired. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

14 REPLIES 14
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

You basically want a directory tool hooked into a batch macro - macro is set up for input and just takes the sheet names  from the batch macro and choose the "sheet names only" option. - then a macro output... Kinda like the attached file...

carrera
5 - Atom

That's what I was looking for! Thank you!

vbmike73
7 - Meteor

First of all, thank you for this solution. I downloaded it and after changing the path in the Directory tool, it does exactly what I want it to do. The only thing that puzzles me is that the Input Data tool in the macro has a path to a file on your C-drive, or at least that's what appears to be the case, since I don't C:\Users\micha folder. C:\Users\micha\Downloads\XML STR008R2_Excel.xlsx

When I change the file in this tool to something on my system, the macro stops working. I can't figure out how it can work only with this file. I must be missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TimN
13 - Pulsar

That file reference is just a placeholder or model.  If you want to change to a placeholder that is meaningful to you, I think you can select an xlsx file on your pc but make sure to select Import a list of sheet names.

TimN_0-1667936911044.png

vbmike73
7 - Meteor

Thank you!

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Yup - you need a placeholder in a macro/app for setting the base execution. you do not need to include the file - and this can show as an error prior to execution. Ideally you can reset this to a test file on your own system -but (and this the key part...)

Your action tool connected to your input/output data tool must be adjusted for the new location. Depending upon the setup of the action tool (ie if it's in update value mode) - it is looking for a specific string to replace (say a path to my harddrive). If this string is in the tool - that's fine - it works. If this string has been modified in the tool - but hasn't been modified in the action tool - then the action tool will not be able to update the value and the macro won't work.

JoshuaB
Alteryx Product Evangelist
Alteryx Product Evangelist

There is a way easier method to do this with just the one input tool.... use the Asterisk operator. 

JoshuaB_0-1668006353421.png

That filename field has what you need and if you also need to parse it out to file and sheets that's just one more tool ;) 

Joshua Burkhow | Chief Evangelist @ Alteryx | Follow me on LinkedIn and Twitter
vbmike73
7 - Meteor

I love this very simple approach! I was able to get it to work with a couple test files that were different variations of the same file. However, when I try to do it with another folder that contains various types of XLSX files, I get the schema error.

The file xxxxxx has a different schema than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped

How do I get around that?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@vbmike73- @JoshuaB 's solution needs this part "I am not interested in the content of the sheets (yet). I just want a list in the form"  to be true...

If you want to read in the files (and you have schematic differences)  you'll need to use a batch macro...

Labels