Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Create Drop-down list and Output as Excel format

Jimmylee4real
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to create a simply drop-down with 3 defaulted choices so whoever get the excel file will be able to fill in as quick as possible

for example: 

I have an excel input with 2 fields (Product & Product_ID)

ProductProduct_ID
A1
B2
C3

I want to add a new field Product_Name and have a drop down for people to select easily. the dropdown should have 3 values (Apple, Sam, Hua).

ProductProduct_IDProduct_Name
A1 
B2 
C3 

thank you so much for your help once again! Alteryx community is amazing!

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Jimmylee4real 

Are you looking for different product name for each row or same for all rows.

If its same for all rows. This might help you https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Creating-Drop-Downs/ta-p/243115

If its different for each row its a complicated scenario.

sparksun
11 - Bolide

my try,you can freely select any product name from drop-down list to replace any cell in product name column.

If it works for u,pls mark it as a solution.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sparksun 

Good try. What if there is more rows/ n rows?

Jimmylee4real
8 - Asteroid

hello there, thanks for the help! 

actually i am just trying to insert the drop-down list with 3-5 options into an existing column or new column and then output as an excel file so whoever get the Excel file will be able to freely choose from those 3-5 "default options" as quickly as possible.

Jimmylee4real
8 - Asteroid

thanks for help! however, the actual data is way more intensive than the demo i just show. There will be around 500+ rows and data so will it still be ok by using your suggested solution? thanks

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Jimmylee4real 

You can excel data validation a try.

Jimmylee4real
8 - Asteroid

hello there my friend, i find it difficult to insert the "Drop-down list" into my existing excel file through Alteryx. Is it also applicable to a "Formula" tool instead of the input file tool?

May I request you do a more detailed demonstration if you have time to do so? thanks so much!

Labels