Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count workflow

denisstravs
7 - Meteor

Hi,

could someone please help me with my workflow? I have created a workflow, but I am not getting the desired results. Why doesn't the tool Formula in the column Check give a final count 6, instead of 2? Where is the issue? In the Key column, I have 6 identical results, is maybe the problem in the Data Type? 

Worklow and Excel attached. 

denisstravs_0-1686918667777.png

7 REPLIES 7
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @denisstravs 

In your workflow, you use the expression CountWords([Reference]). According to this article, CountWords() returns the count of words in the specified string. Words are defined by characters separated by a space.

Kenda_0-1686919784783.png

In your Reference field, there are two sets of characters separated by a space which is why the Check expression is resulting in a 2.

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@denisstravs 

I don't understand what you want to calculate.
you have 6 records that came from excel.
in the formula you calculate the number of words,

what do you really want

denisstravs
7 - Meteor

Hi, hmmm, okay, so this is totally wrong. I would like to calculate the total value of the identical keys. In this case, I expect in the column Check to show a total value of 6, since I have 6 identical keys. How can I generate this formula?

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@denisstravs 

Try using the Summarize tool, adding a Group By & Count on your Key field. 

jacobcarman
8 - Asteroid

You could add a Summarize tool where you group by Key and count Key. That would give 6. You could then append/join that back to the records. If you just need to see how many identical keys, then no need to join it back.

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@jacobcarman 

geraldo_0-1686920953830.png

jacobcarman
8 - Asteroid

@geraldo 

I would also add a group by Key and move it to the top. That way if you have multiple unique keys you get a count for each.

Labels