Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count the number of words in a column

sreekanthac
8 - Asteroid

Hello Community,

I have a situation where I need to count the number of words in a column. The words are separated by comma. I know using CountWords() we count the words in a string where they are separated by space. How can I do the same when they are separated by comma? Thank you in advance for your support. 😊

sreekanthac_0-1637733946446.png

5 REPLIES 5
Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

@sreekanthac 

Here you go!

Sebastiaandb_0-1637735181944.png

Use this expression: CountWords(REGEX_Replace([Field2], ",", " ")) 

were field 2 is your concat_type field. The regex replaces the commas by a space, making it possible for the countwords to do its magic!

Greetings,

Seb

sreekanthac
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Seb for the quick response. I tried with a similar solution like yours as shown below and it worked. But I was looking for function like CountWords() where I could provide the delimiter as an option. 

My logic is as shown below and it worked. I was wondering why you used REGEX_Replace() instead regular Replace(). Do you have an explanation for that?

CountWords(Replace([Concat_Type], ',', ' '))

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

Hi @sreekanthac 

Your replace expression does exactly the same as the stacked countwords/regex expression. The deliminator "comma" is provided in the REGEX_replace function as well between the quotations. 

It doesn't matter in this case whether to use the replace or regex_replace function. You would want use the REGEX_replace function when you want to replace the comma on specific positions within a sentence only but keep some other commas (you could say, a harder replace).  

Greetings,

Seb

Joma
7 - Meteor

Hi there,

I have a question. In this specific scenario from sreekanthac. How would it be possible to count each word which occurs in the column Concat_Type?

So that I would have a list like this

Joma_0-1654077337425.png

Thanks in Advance

sbatra116
8 - Asteroid

@Joma

select the output and use formula CountWords([Text])

Labels