Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert .Txt File into Image or blob

kcollado
7 - Meteor

I have a .txt file as an input in Designer. Is there a way to convert .Txt file into an image or blob to preserve the format?

The text file has a non-standard delimitation so when I try to convert to excel it's messy. I'm thinking to convert the text file into an image to preserve the formats.

12 REPLIES 12
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @kcollado, have you looked at the Blob Convert tool?

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/blob-convert-tool

kcollado
7 - Meteor

Hi @datanath, I've tried to use it but it returns a Null Blob.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Post the configuration of your blob tools - you are probably converting wrong - the first two (of three) blob conversions convert blob to text not vice versa.

kcollado
7 - Meteor

these are my configurations for converting my text file into an image

blob input.JPG

blob convert.JPG

  

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Sorry - not quite following you here. This is turning your datastream into a blob - but it's not turning it into a specific fileformat,.. 

like you won't have an actual image(unless you had an image/converted it to text and are then reconverting it) if that's the case - i'd recommend image in the reporting tool palette?

DataNath
17 - Castor

@kcollado you don't want to be using the Blob Input tool - this is for when you already have a blob/image and want to convert from that format as @apathetichell mentioned. Also, in your Blob Convert tool you're currently pointing towards the [FullPath] field that comes from your Directory tool. You'll instead want to select the field containing your actual .txt data from that dropdown and convert that into a blob.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

yeah - you can convert [FullPath] to a blob - but you are just converting the text in that field (ie the fullpath of the file) to a blob. I guess the question here is:

What are you trying to do - can you sketch out your workflow - if so I'm sure @DataNath or one of us can point you in the proper direction.

kcollado
7 - Meteor

@DataNath  @apathetichell

Thank you both for the prompt responses and inputs!

so generally, I have a .txt file that I want to convert into an image. That image will be attached to the email body in the email output. Would it be possible?

This is an example of the text file:

TEXT FILE.JPG

This is how I want it to show in the email output:

Capture.JPG

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

hmmm - not ideal because of formatting - but you can try to shoot it over to a table tool or report text and then a render. render will allow you to output it as a .png.

Labels