Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Control file path Alteryx uses to save Excel .bak files

JohnZ_2022
6 - Meteoroid

How do you control the file path that Alteryx uses to output the .bak files when outputting xlsx files.?

Here is what Alteryx does by default.

Screenshot 1
\Output Data example - Includes xlsx and .bak files created from the process

The Desired results are shown in Screenshots 2 and 3 as summarized below.

\Output Data example\ - xlsx files created from the process
\Output Data example\Bak files\ - .bak files created from the process

There are many posts in the community about methods to delete the .bak files. I do not want to delete these files.

Instead, I want to keep the .bak files, and placed them in a separate folder. Is there a preference setting somewhere Alteryx that controls this?

Screenshot 5 - shows Workflow Configuration Constants. This is over my head, but maybe a more experienced user can determine if this section could somehow be used.

Other options?

See screenshots attached.

Thanks
John

Screenshot 1 - Alteryx Default

JohnZ_2022_0-1649180395833.png

Screenshot 2 - Desired location for .xlsx files is exactly the same as Screenshot 1.

(note there are no .bak files in this folder)

JohnZ_2022_1-1649180640714.png

Screenshot 3. This is the desired location of the bak files.

I created this manually to illustrate the point.

JohnZ_2022_2-1649180658060.png

Screenshot 4 - Output Data configuration

JohnZ_2022_3-1649180676096.png

Screenshot 5 - Workflow Configuration Constants.

JohnZ_2022_4-1649180691122.png

4 REPLIES 4
Tanai_Goncalves
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

Unfortunately you can't change the path for the .bak files because they are just copy of older files in the same path. At least I've never found it.

a ticket from 2014 is still under review:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Make-backup-bak-file-creation-optional/idi-p...

One alternative solution is to use the "Run Command" tool.

(edited including MOV)

Via command prompt you have the following function:

robocopy "path/alteryx-output" "path/desired-bak-output" *.bak /MOV

This will transfer all files with extension ".bak" to your desired folder.

The /MOV parameter on robocopy will make it delete .bak files after copying to another folder.

Always test your functions on native Command Prompt before applying to Run Comand Tool.

Please be aware that you need to use the "block untill done" tool between processes and may have issues of parallell processing between different servers.

Hope this helps.

Tanai

JohnZ_2022
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Tania,

Thanks for the feedback.  I never knew about the robocopy command.  I found a couple of articles online that show all of the switches that can be used with multiple examples.   My plan is to move them down one tier in the folder structure so they are readily accessible just one folder below where the alteryx output files are going.

From folder:  \alteryxfolderwithmy program\Output files   

To folder:      \alteryxfolderwithmy program\Output files\bakfiles

So I think that robocopy command below will move the *.bak files to a subfolder below output files called backup.  I think the full path between C: and \alteryxfolderwithmyprogram    folder would need to be specified. The example below is abbreviated

robocopy c:\alteryxfolderwithmyprogram\Output files    C:\alteryxfolderwithmy program\Output files\backups *.bak /MOV

I feel more comfortable using the /MOV option rather than creating a command that copies, followed by a command that deletes file. 

Thanks

John

Tanai_Goncalves
8 - Asteroid

yes, the MOV parameter is way better.

Good to know it worked.

Regards,

Tanai

heathersolis
5 - Atom

Would it be possible for you to provide a screenshot of the Run Command configuration and where you placed it in your workflow? 

I know it's been a while, but It would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Heather

Labels