Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conditional User Text Input & Data Cleansing

Jes
8 - Asteroid

In my workflow, I have a test to see if there is a valid output/data.

If the test condition is met, I'd like the workflow to continue and prompt the user for text input, which will come in as an unclean string.

I'd like to take this string and cleanse the data for further analysis.

2 questions:

1. How can I continue the workflow in the current state so that if the test condition is met, the workflow prompts the user for text input?

2. How can I input the user text into the workflow so that I can perform data cleansing and analysis?

JH0123_1-1611601251582.png

'Update Value' tool configuration looks as the below right now:

JH0123_2-1611601449253.png

5 REPLIES 5
JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jes ,

The way alteryx interface elements work currently, you cant create/pop up new elements(text box) during runtime based on a condition.

You can achieve what you are trying to do using Chained Apps and the Crew Runner macro.

•  The first application in the chain can test for the condition

• If the condition is met, it can then execute second application using the Crew Runner tool. The second application is configured using interface elements to accept input from the user using a textbox. This can then be used within the workflow by using an action tool to replace values.
  • If the condition is not met, it can execute the third application using the Crew Runner tool. This is pre-configured to not have any text box elements.

Hope this provides an overview of how you can implement this.

Best,

Jagdeesh Narayanan

Jes
8 - Asteroid

@JagdeeshN  I'll look into chained apps https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120.

If I were to request the user to input data regardless of the condition (item #2), how can I go about establishing this in my current workflow?

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jes ,

In cases wherein you want the user to enter a value regardless of whether a condition was met or not, you wont need chained apps. You can instead do the following:-

• Create a text box using the interface elements. This can be used to get compulsory input from the user.
  • Within the workflow depending on if the condition is met or not , use/not use the user entered value.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Jagdeesh

Jes
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JagdeeshN,

I am having issues getting user input to be read into the workflow.

Below is the input message prompt. The user input data is not being input/recognized in the workflow.

JH0123_0-1611605926466.png

JagdeeshN
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi @Jes ,

Please find attached a sample workflow. It showcases how an input from a user(using the interface elements) can be used within the workflow.

Best,

Jagdeesh

Labels