Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Concatenate content in rows only from specific columns

AnaLG
7 - Meteor

Hi, I am trying to put all the different rows that are part of one single address in just one line, without changing the other rows: store, id and date. Note that one store might have many ID's and dates, but there has to be only one row for address.  Find image attached.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot (12).png

8 REPLIES 8
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I assume the address should repeat based on the Store column? Here's a workflow that should work for your purposes:

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @AnaLG 

What do these addresses relate to? The store? Assuming yes then you could do something like this:

1. Fill down blank stores
  2. Group by store and concatenate address
  3. Join address back to data

image.png

AnaLG
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much for your help Luke_C and alexnajm.

That work, how would I do the exact same thing if there was no 'store' column to group by?

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@AnaLG You need at least a column to group on - otherwise how would we know what rows concatenate with one another?

AnaLG
7 - Meteor

I have another table where I have nothing to group by, so I don't really know how to concatenate the address rows, since there if no reference number or nothing to group by. So, in this case each address is associated to a few modules, and I want to concatenate both columns 'address' and 'modules'. See table attached. Would you know how can I do that? Thanks so much.Screenshot (14).png

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

You can create a grouping field of sorts using the Multi-Row Formula tool - in this case, looks like you could use it to create a grouping for every 4 rows (i.e. first 4 rows is group 1, next 4 is group 2, etc.). But that's dependent on the logic of the data and finding something that's repeatable!

AnaLG
7 - Meteor

Great, I will try to do that. Thank you!

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Fantastic. If it truly is split by an equal amount of records, you could also look at the Equal Records option of the Tile tool!

Labels