Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing the delta between 2 columns

Adam_B
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I have a data set with 2 columns, both were created by a formula earlier in my workflow.

I need to compare the 2 columns with what I will assume is a Summarize tool, and count how many deltas there are. 

Adam_B_0-1679427831083.png

So if the "Note" Column is populated, and the "Right_Note" column is not, I want to count that as a a delta.  In the example provided there would be 9 counted on the "Note" side and 3 blanks counted on the "Right_Note" side. 

Thank you!

Adam 

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Adam_B Have you tried the summarise tool (count null) for your use case?

binuacs_0-1679428363277.png

Adam_B
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs I have tried and it's not working, that was the first thing I tried.

Adam_B_0-1679428754315.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Adam_B Another option make the blank fields NULL using a formula tool and count again with the summarise tool

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Adam_B, when you say you're making the field in a Formula tool earlier in the workflow, are you by any chance doing something like this whereby you perhaps have an 'else' than results in ''?

DataNath_0-1679429362923.png

As you can see in your first screenshot, the blank entries in your data are actually just empty and are not null. Hence why counting nulls won't work. If you want to use this approach then you could change your Formula to this where the 'else' is null(), which would allow the count null approach to work:

DataNath_1-1679429441574.png

If you want to keep the Formula outcome as is, then you could perhaps add another statement that results in 1 when the field is empty and 0 if not, that you can perform a count on:

DataNath_2-1679429546915.pngDataNath_3-1679429565992.png

Adam_B
8 - Asteroid

@DataNath That is a great solution, Thank you!

Labels