Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Combining Similar Columns and Group by/Sum by multiple columns

aaggh2003
5 - Atom

Hi, I am getting some input data as below:

Name 1Name 2Group 1Group 2ValueA 1ValueA 2ValueB 1ValueB 2
XXX 1 100 200 
 YYY 2 100 200
 XXX 1 300 300

Note that if Name doesn't have a value than the respective columns afterwards will be null. (i.e. Name 1 is null then null in Group/ValueA/ValueB 1)

and I would like to combine columns based on the numbering while summing the values:

NameGroupValueAValueB
XXX1400500
YYY2100200

I've tried using Transpose and Cross Tab but run into trouble as the Value column will have both string and number formatted columns. So how can I group by combining several string columns and sum multiple columns?

Thanks in advanced for any help and please let me know if the question is unclear.

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@aaggh2003 
Just as you mentioned, there are both string and number formatted columns, so we have to seperate them and I use a Regex filter.
And I use record ID the keep tracking the records before I can join them togher.

In your real data, it can be much complex for removing the postfix in column names.
Hope it helps.

0601-aaggh2003.PNG

alisonpitt
11 - Bolide

You can do this without regex, too, since the column names are nicely formatted. It is important to use a RecordID though, I agree with Qiu :)

alisonpitt_0-1685574839497.png

alisonpitt_1-1685574911340.png

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @aaggh2003 

Another way for you , maybe this is a dynamic solution:

录制_2023_06_01_08_03_51_762.gif

If can help you get your want, please mark it as a solution and give a like for more share. 

Otherwise please upload sample data for get advanced way.

aaggh2003
5 - Atom

I added a new field in the formula by assigning an unique group_id for each _X, and uses both record_id and group_id during the cross tab tool, all good now!

Thanks everyone!

-------------------

I realized I misled you all by showing an input that did not have data in _1 and _2 at the same time, which is actually possible and with the cross tab tool having "First" value makes those _2 values disappear.

See attached for the sample record, which got values in all columns, and the output I am looking for should be:

NameGroupSum_ValueASum_ValueB
250Other0.015772.57
104Other12500237.45

I tried creating multiple transpose tools while adding numbers to create new record id and use Union tool at the end but I actually have 10 columns for each header, not sure if this is the best way to do it.

Apology for making the confusion. 

Labels