Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Column: no fields were selected for a column

jdkatz1
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I keep getting this same error. Not really understanding where its coming from as all the columns are aligned from the two data sets

5 REPLIES 5
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @jdkatz1 

The problem is here.

Col77 is not assigned with no fields. We cant keep it blank.

ShankerV_0-1676059851990.png

jdkatz1
8 - Asteroid

I have 4 blank columns. There is no additional data to fill these. Is there a way to remove it so it will work? or another way to fix?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

my recommendation would be hooking up a dynamic rename in formula mode to the stream with the "Right_" prefix and then union on name. In your dynamic rename use the formula:

replace([_CurrentField_],"Right_","")

Your current issue is that you are manually configuring fields in a union tool. Using this config is great but in situations where schema changes (or there are lots of columns) it can create errors...

jdkatz1
8 - Asteroid

why is it creating all of these columns though? shouldn't there be a way to prevent this from happening while still being able to do it manually configured?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

There is - if you select "Deselect dupes" on your join you won't carry forward the second instance of the named column. By default duplicated column names on the RIGHT are relabeled as "Right_" post join. This is because you cannot have two column names which are the same and SQL is left/top dominant.

and just to go back to my initial statement - manual configuration on imperfect schemas will create errors. stick with configure by name - and get your names to match prior to the union.

Labels