Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Clear Excel Sheets Data

NiranjanK1
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I extract data every day and copy it to various Excel sheets. I have to remove any existing data from spreadsheets before uploading data to Excel.

if the number of rows in the data extract for today is smaller than for yesterday. I'm adding inaccurate information from yesterday to the flow. How can I erase yesterday's data from numerous spread sheets in Excel? Please advise.

Thanks In Advance

Niranjan

2 REPLIES 2
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @NiranjanK1,

You can just write an empty table to the sheet. Make sure to skip the headers when doing so (since at least headers are required in Alteryx) This will write an empty Excel. 

FrederikE_0-1685619795990.png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @NiranjanK1 

By far the best way to do this is to us a database to store the information, and then embed a data-connection into your excel - that way the file can refresh every time it opens.

If you can't get access to a database to write the info in - then you could achieve the same thing by pumping out to a .CSV file that your excel file refrences as a data connection - the benefit of doing this rather than writing to the excel file is that you can do all the fancy formatting you need in your Excel file.

Failing that - you can do as @FrederikE mentions - overwrite a ton of rows as your first step (with a block until done, or a 2023.1 control container) - or write a different file for each day.

Labels