Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Changing existing date format to mmm-yy and sorting by date in a report

jonathanyeo
6 - Meteoroid

I have data below in YYYY-MM-DD (2020-04-30) format which I want to

1) convert to MMM-YY (Apr-20) and

2) Be able to use the Table reporting tool's 'Group by' function to  earliest to latest date in MMM-YY format

I am able to extract it in MMM-YY by using the parse tool but it's in string format and can't be sorted properly in the Table reporting tool (i.e I will have data sorted alphabetically instead since it's string format)

6 REPLIES 6
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @jonathanyeo,

You can always keep the proper date format only for sorting. The data in a format like this can be handy sooner or later so I would suggest keeping the original date column. 

jonathanyeo
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you Emil, I'd definitely keep the original format, but want to create a new column in MMM-YY format so that my data will be grouped in report format by months and not exact dates.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jonathanyeo ,

Here is a workflow for the task.

Input

atcodedog05_0-1601571128038.png

Output

atcodedog05_2-1601571209026.png

All dates are converted to first day of the month so that it can be grouped and later sort and Month.

Take Format column to the output. Date is considered by Alteryx only in a specific format.

atcodedog05_3-1601571249087.png

Hope this helps : )

If this post helps you please mark it as solution. And give a like if you dont mind : )

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I suggest you use a formula tool to create a date column with the date trimmed to start of the month:

DateTimeTrim([Date],"month")

Additionally, produce a second field (Formatted Month):

DateTimeFormat([Month],"%b-%Y")

You can then use both for grouping (with the Month field first) and then format the table as you need.

Quick simple example attached

jonathanyeo
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you both, never thought of using the trim formula!

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

I agree with you on the trim function @jonathanyeo 

Happy to help : ) 

Cheers and Happy Analysing 🥳

Labels