Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Chained app: populating dataset with reference to 1st answer

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Hello fellow Alteryx fans,

I'm having trouble trying to chain an app workflow, and I was hoping some bright spark might be able to give me some pointers please!

I have a dummy workflow which lists a number of hotels, together with the geo-coordinates.

I would like to create an app that first asks the user to specify a region.

I would then likely app to return all the hotels in that region only, and allow the user to specify a hotel and trade area distance, so that we can return the trade area map.

I've created a two-step workflow, but I can't seem to get the correct data to flow from one workflow to the other. I keep getting the route 1 error for those familiar with that.

I have attached the dummy workflows, and throw myself at your mercy!

Best wishes,

Jonathan

5 REPLIES 5
jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Just wondering if anyone has had an opportunity to consider the conundrum I posted yesterday?

I notice the question is not attracting a lot of views… Perhaps I gave it a poor subject title?

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, or would like me to elaborate, please don't hesitate to ask. Very interested to get some feedback if possible.

Many thanks!

MikeSp
Alteryx
Alteryx

@jonathanogrady,

Thanks for posting on the community!

I took a quick look at your app, I assume you wish for "Step 1.yxwz" to run "Step 2.yxwz" when it has completed. I noticed in your interface designer under your "Step 1.yxwz" app that you're referencing your "Hotel List.yxdb" instead of the second app in the "On Success - Run Another Analytic App" setting.

2017-09-05_11-08-46.png

Once I changed this to the second app "Step 2.yxwz" (and updated the references of your files to paths on my machine) your app appears to work as expected and produces output within the second app, after the first app has run and generated the YXDB file.

2017-09-05_11-11-54.png

Hopefully this helps!

Thanks,

Mike Spoula
Senior Solutions Architect
Alteryx
jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Your very kind to reply to my question. Unfortunately, I don't think that's it.

Admittedly, there was a glitch in what I uploaded, but my issue is that I wish the user to choose a "region", and then be presented with only the hotels from that region, i.e. not the master list.

If you run the workflow and choose a region except London, the list does not seem to change. In other words, my temporary file is not updating in the step process. I must be doing something wrong… Any ideas?

Many thanks as always!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@jonathanogrady Unfortunately, the dropdown interface tool isn't working as you (or I) would expect. When you connect an input tool to the dropdown in your step 2, Alteryx is actually just using stale metadata to populate the dropdown (not the actual data or updated metadata). If that underlying file is updated (which happens whenever you make a new selection in step1), it doesn't pull through the new data (or metadata).

To get around this, I've modified your 2 workflows in the attached. You need to delete the input tool feeding your dropdown in step 2 and then choose the option to connect to an external source (which will go get the live data at runtime). Since your using this option, the dropdown tool now wants the data in a different format. It needs 2 columns: name and value. I modified your step1 to write this data out. It seems to be working on my end, although you'll quickly figure out if I crossed my wires somewhere. If this was real data, you'll have to repoint all the input, output and dropdowns to the correct files. I made them all relative to test things on my end.

Hopefully that helps!

jonathanogrady
8 - Asteroid

Patrick,

You're an absolute genius! I couldn't figure it out. All working now.

Thank you so much for giving it your time.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Labels