Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Chained App

lltang57
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

When I am designing chained app, although I have click "Interface Designer" to choose "on success-run another analytic app" and make the second app's input is the last one's output, the final output is not what I want: The first app will allow the user to select a brand and then based on that selection it will feed the value to a filter tool that will filter the product and create two outputs, but all products appeared, the last select click doesn't have filter function. For example, when I choose "Apple", all products appear in the filter box, not only "Iphone".

3 REPLIES 3
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @lltang57 ,

This happens because in the second app, your interface tool is configured so it displays a standard set of values

AngelosPachis_0-1639040627832.png

Currently, there is no way for the output of the first app to interact with the interface tool of the second app. So there's no way for the second app interface to know that the output of the first app only contains Iphone, when Apple is selected as a brand.

To achieve that, you have to create a second output in your first app that will only contain the values that you want to display in the interface tool.

AngelosPachis_1-1639040842358.png

That output should have two columns, one named [Name] and the other named [Value]. Name is the alias that will appear in the second app interface tool, and the value is the one that will get passed to your tool, when that option is selected by the user.

Finally, you will have to go to your second app and change from where your interface tool reads the values. Select the option to read values from an external source and then look for the output you created above (I called it output for interface app 2 but you should probably use the drop-down arrow to locate the file).

AngelosPachis_0-1639041149323.png

A great resource to find out more about how to configure chained apps is the Interactive lessons in the community and weekly challenge #175

Hope that helps,

Angelos

lltang57
6 - Meteoroid

Hi  AngelosPachis,

Thank you so much for helping me solve this problem!

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @lltang57 ,

I'm glad that my post above helped you solve this problem. Please take the time to mark my response as a solution to close this thread.

Best,

Angelos 

Labels