Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can you use Blob Output to add new template sheet to existing excel files?

Psparrow806
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have over 100 separate excel files that all need a new sheet.   I have a template to use for the new sheet.  The solution from @jrgo HERE was extremely helpful in creating new files.  However, I am attempting to use the Blob input and output tool to output to existing workbooks, but the result is that the existing files are getting completely overwritten and replaced by the single new template sheet.  Is there a way to accomplish adding a new sheet to existing workbooks without overwriting the files?

Psparrow806_0-1652727120920.png

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

blob input/output is incredibly powerful for dynamically creating excel templates and then populating data - it does not - however add a single excel sheet to an existing file.

What it sounds like you want to do is dynamically read in a list of sheet of names and full path of each file (or just a directory tool with your full path - if you have no sheet logic for existing sheets) - you then use a formula tool to create a new full path with your new sheet name and use output data to write to (just) that new sheet name. the remainder of the file will be untouched by Alteryx.

Psparrow806
5 - Atom

Thank you @apathetichell for the reply.  I was able to do that by disconnecting the Blob Output tool since I already had the outputs set to the existing files.  This is a good option if we decided it doesn't need to be in a "pretty" format.  Thanks again!

Labels