Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can't get email link to work

Voska
8 - Asteroid

I have a formula starting with a shared location.. i then edit it using replace to update the date hierarchy of the location.. i then made a report text to write the body of the email and included the formula column as the location.  It all looks good in browse yet when the email is received, the link doesn't work.  It seems to be changing $ - > %24 and i can't seem to figure out how to not make it do that.  Example of workflow.  Please note, if you try and test the workflow, you will need to enter email addresses

8 REPLIES 8
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Voska,

I don't have outbound e-mail set up at home to test the flow, but the reason it's doing this is because %24 is the URL encoding for $.

Do you have the same issue if you include the UNC folder path in plain text instead of under the "HERE" hyperlink?

https://www.lifewire.com/unc-universal-naming-convention-818230

This article here may help you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/0d2ce868-97e2-4499-a259-f3e44413de52...

Voska
8 - Asteroid

Using quotes around the file path and not using link text made the link display correctly and work.  However, is there no way to make link text work?  Having the entire file path display doesn't make for a pretty email.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Voska For what it's worth, here is my 2 cents:

When you run your module, you can use a browse to see what the field body of the email field looks like:

<div class="DefaultText" style="width:100%;"><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">Hello,<nbsp/>
</span><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/></div><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/>
</div><div><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">The<nbsp/> reports have been placed
<a href="file:////sancfs001/workcomp%24/HO%20Underwriting/Snap%20Raw%20Reports/2017/05%20May%202017/" >here</a>
</span></div><div><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">Please let me know if there are any questions.</span>
</div><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/></div><div><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">Thank you,
</span></div><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/></div><div><nbsp/></div></div>

This is where you pointed out that the & has been changed to %24. What I did was just change the report text tool to expert mode, and then copied that html back in. I then replaced the filename with the field "here", so I ended up with this:

<div class="DefaultText" style="width:100%;"><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">Hello,<nbsp/>
</span><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/></div><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/>
</div><div><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">The<nbsp/> reports have been placed
<a href="[here:A]" >here</a>
</span></div><div><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">Please let me know if there are any questions.</span>
</div><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/></div><div><span style="font-size:12.0pt;">Thank you,
</span></div><div style="font-size:12.0pt;"><nbsp/></div><div><nbsp/></div></div>

I don't like that I can no longer easily edit the report text easily since you have to use html at this point.

Voska
8 - Asteroid

How did you get to see the html in the browse?  Mine just shows the text how it would display

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@Voska If you click on the browse tool and select the field you want to look at, it will show the underlying text in the results window as demonstrated below:

ezgif-2-c4afa11025.gif

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

:-) Nice animated GIF @patrick_digan

I'm going to shamelessly steal this idea!

Caveman88
7 - Meteor

Hey everyone,

I wanted to resurrect this and include something that may be useful to anyone looking to do this.

This is a macro that I am mostly using on the Gallery when I schedule reports. All that needs to be done is to open the macro and input your SMTP name as well as update the values. When included in a scheduled report, it will generate the e-mail and include a link to either a file path on a network server or website. I created it using the HTML code from the users who posted on here so I wanted to give something back that may help too. :)

Enjoy!

amitdeshmukh2809
5 - Atom

Issue resolved

Labels