Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can Alteryx input excel dynamic named range

Hamster
7 - Meteor
I have a workbook of say 3 tabs each tab has a dynamic named range that I need to pull into Alteryx
8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

By any chance can you send us over a data sample and the desired output? 

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Hamster 
Alteryx can pull out the sheets name, but not the named range.
But if you have the list of the named ranges, there might be something we can do.

Qiu_0-1603369661991.png

Qiu_1-1603369783176.png

Hamster
7 - Meteor

The named ranges will change as the rows change so anything hard coded will not work.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Hamster 
Even the name of the named range?

Hamster
7 - Meteor

No, the range will expand and contract based on the columns and rows but the name will stay the same.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Hamster ,

If you can determine the range using logic then you can wrap the dynamic input in a macro and feed in the columns and rows and rows as dynamic values to overwrite the range. However, you would need to load in the sheet to determine the range, which in my mind makes it pointless as you would simply load in the entire sheet and select the range of cells that are required based on population.

You could also wrap the whole thing in an app and have the user input the range, which would then overwrite the range in the input tool.  It's not dynamic as such, but would allow the user to define the range on each run. Given the source is external it's impossible for Alteryx to know the range until you define it.

If you have a named range in the sheet, then you can instruct Alteryx to load in the named range, which will expand and retract accordingly.

M.

Bulien

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@Hamster 
As long as the names remain unchanged, we do something like this.

1. Retrieve the Excel File list by Input Data tool

2. Text input for Names of Named Range

3. Formula Too to get full path

4. Dynamic Input to pull out the data with the full path.

If you need, I can make a sample workflow.

Hamster
7 - Meteor

Thanks I'll take a look at your suggestion.

Labels