Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

CSV with extra columns sometimes causing errors

drudd75077
6 - Meteoroid

I work with csvs that sometimes have errors in them. For example, they may have 3 columns, but some rows happen to have more columns in the data. 

For example, my file could look something like this:

Col1, Col2, Col3

a,       b,      c

d,       e,      f

g,       h,      i,    j

So my file will error on the 3rd row because it looks like it has 4 columns but the csv only has 3 columns. I don't have control over how the csv is created so I can't change this.

I come from a Python background but am transitioning to a team that uses Alteryx so I'm trying to figure out how to handle this situation in Alteryx. In Python, I currently have my program just create more columns than I need so it imports everything I can then filter to the problem rows and fix them.

My files have millions of rows (normally around 10 - 30 rows will be like I described and there can sometimes be several extra commas, not just one extra.

6 REPLIES 6
flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi, @drudd75077 

FYI. You can use tokenize method of regex by most columns to contain your data.

录制_2023_12_28_16_23_10_383.gif

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

There are several solutions, but what may be the best for you is to select the following Input Tool Setting:

Screenshot.png

This will import the error rows as Null's, which you can then filter out.

drudd75077
6 - Meteoroid

@flying008

I don't think this will solve my problem. My problem is that I can't import the CSV data into Alteryx to begin with because the problem rows error out. I know how to resolve them once I can get them in the tool.

drudd75077
6 - Meteoroid

@AndrewDMerrill

But then I have null rows, I want to get the data into Alteryx.

TimN
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

This approach keeps 3 columns and leaves the extra data in the third column.

drudd75077
6 - Meteoroid

@TimN 

Perfect exactly what I was looking for. 

Labels