Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Building Block - Block Parallel Output

AlexSTeryx
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx Community, 

as introduced here this is our Building Block to block parallel outputs.

"Enables output in several sheets of one Excel file without causing an error that the file is blocked"

The Download of the macro you might find following this path.

Of course there are certainly tons of more applications for the macro "block until done".

Feel free to use it, replay, like it and share it!

Best

Alex

11 REPLIES 11
AlexSTeryx
8 - Asteroid

Good Morning @dsandmann!

Sorry for the late replay. 

What do you refer to wit "regular" block until done macro?

Would you min uploading a WF or posting a picture to illustrate?
Best
Alex

dsandmann
8 - Asteroid

Talk about a late reply @AlexSTeryx, I think I win in that regard lol.

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to in a Macro.

MacroCapture.PNG

I designed this specific one to do two things for me:

1. Always ensure that there is a row of data to write to a file (if you have block of data that outputs only headers it will wait until the end of the workflow, even after email)
    1. This was creating some different problems for me when trying to copy/move/email files especially when reading in a template excel
  2. Standard way to set file to save to different locations

When not using AMP, this macro should work. The block until done tool when used in this way allows each sheet to be written without causing any issues. The technique doesn't have to be used within a macro like this, you could just use it within your workflow and avoid having to think about connections with parallel blocks or potentially breaking a parallel block upstream by disabling a container etc. If I have to do any outputs outside these parameters that's typically what I'll do.

@ChrisTX - this may also solve your example

Labels