Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Best practice tips and application for beginner Alteryx Users

NancyPham109
5 - Atom

Hi there! I am a beginner learning Alteryx Designer. The process has been challenging, but I can see the benefits of becoming more proficient in Alteryx. 

Are there any tips that you can reply for best practices when working with the platform? With flexibility, I understand that there are certain steps or actions that will benefit my process if I implement and practice them now. On that thought, are there any examples of how Alteryx is applied in the work field of accounting. Specifically, within the public accounting space, how is Alteryx often used? 

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @NancyPham109 

In public accounting Alteryx is used to do a lot of ETL (extract, transform, load) functions to get data ready for analysis. It's also used to assist with audit testing and tax calculations. See below link for some more details. 

https://www.alteryx.com/input/blog/how-accounting-and-finance-professionals-can-use-data-to-gain-sup...

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @NancyPham109 ,

I agree with everything Luke said above! In addition, Alteryx is great for repetitive processes (hello, public accounting) that need to be reused with new information each time.

Here's an additional article from the Journal of Accountancy about Alteryx. https://www.journalofaccountancy.com/issues/2020/dec/data-preparation-for-accountants.html

StephaneP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @NancyPham109 ,

Here is 3 part article about "How to make your workflow impactful". The main idea is not to make it sexy, but easily understandable by yourself (a few weeks/month later), your colleague to avoid the disastrous "single point of failure" or anyone that need to validate your calcultation rules (Audit, managers, business partners...).

StephaneP_0-1648403210924.png

Make Your Workflow Visually Impactful Part 1: Your Preparation

Make Your Workflow Visually Impactful - Part 2: Your Workflow 

Make Your Workflow Visually Impactful - Part 3: Visual Effects 

Hope it helps.

Stéphane Portier
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Labels