Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Average by group/category

etchiou
5 - Atom

Hello! I have sorted a column in my data so that it lists different sports in ascending order. How do I proceed to calculate the average value (from the airfare price column) of each sport and then create graphs from that? Similar to a SUMIF/IF/AVG statement in Excel. Thank you in advance! Attached is what I have so far. 

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @etchiou, can you attach the actual Excel file that's used as the Input as well? Unless you export a packaged workflow, assets like the data files etc aren't contained within them!

etchiou
5 - Atom

Hi @DataNath - thanks for bring that to my attention! I have attached a simplified Excel data file. Thank you!

DataNath
17 - Castor

No problem @etchiou - thanks for providing that! Are you looking for something like this?

DataNath_0-1661465778882.png

To do aggregations in Alteryx, we use the Summarize tool. In your case, you want the average amount by Sport and so we group by Sport, before taking the Average of amount:

DataNath_1-1661465802889.png

To create charts, we can then utilise the Interactive Chart tool. Here I've just made a new layer, set it to a bar chart and selected which fields I want on each axis:

DataNath_2-1661465862347.png

To then view the final outcome, I've simply added a Browse tool afterwards. If you want to output this, you can use the Reporting (orange) tools to do various things with this i.e. create emails/reports etc.

Any other questions or if you were looking for something different then please let me know!

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@etchiou One way of doing this

binuacs_0-1661466183817.png

etchiou
5 - Atom

Thank you!! Exactly what I was looking for!! Appreciate it!!

Labels