Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automation Concepts

Shohn
7 - Meteor

I am working on proof of concept. I already have work arounds, so I'm not looking for that type of feedback. 

This workflow has a condition that is True and False. If true run only that container False run only the other. Both true and false write to the same file, currently they overwrite each other. What I want is to turn the containers on and off based on the True/False. This will run on the Alteryx server without human input, additionally any errors would result in full stop of the workflow.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Shawn

Hansos1_0-1648057925284.png

10 REPLIES 10
jrsheppard
7 - Meteor

If you want to turn off the entire container or disable a stream from running for ALL records, you'll need Condition > Action > Tool Container to turn on / off the tool containers.  This may require putting some of this into a standard macro.  The other option is to simply use a detour tool for two different streams.

If you want to use a filter to direct traffic to one stream or the other and output to the same Excel worksheet, then I suggest simply using a Union for both workstreams before outputting to the same sheet & file.

Shohn
7 - Meteor

The condition and action tool seems promising, I've looked at and used this many times. I guess what I am missing is how to branch off of a workflow and input the value into an condition tool. I have only been able to use this with other interface tools Example: Radio buttons that a human chooses. 

I understand the union option, both data sets are different so it's really messy.

Shawn 

dougperez
12 - Quasar

I'm thinking in 3 ideas:

1 - Just union the two flows (I understed that the datasets are different, but they came from the same input and they go to the same output, then it shouldnt be that hard), see the workflow attached;

2 - Use the conditional runner macro;

3 - Use a chained app.

Shohn
7 - Meteor

The question I am asking is really just this. How do I turn on and off each container with out human intervention and without errors? I want the program to automate when this happens. The workflow itself does not matter. This is why I don't need a work around.

dougperez
12 - Quasar

In this case I would use the Runner macros, but I don't know that they work good on alteryx server...

jrsheppard
7 - Meteor

You can certainly automatically turn off containers based on a condition - which you can define in a Condition tool, then you can use an action tool to specify which container and which condition should be met to turn off a container.  

Links to tool documentation for condition and action tools below

https://help.alteryx.com/20214/designer/condition-tool

https://help.alteryx.com/20214/designer/action-tool

The problem I think is whether you even need to build out this complicated logic given the simplicity of your use case (based on what we can see from the image of the workflow).  It may be a good idea to ask "why do I need to turn off the tool container?".  I think adding a union at the end before using the output data tool is a perfectly good way to simplify your workflow.

dougperez
12 - Quasar

@jrsheppard  I don't think that you can turn containers on and off with the condition/action tool in this case, he wants to use a field as a parameter, and the condition and action don't work with that. The workflow is just a "example" of what he wants to do.

If he wants to control the workflow direction, he will need to use the runner tools (or chained app I think).

Shohn
7 - Meteor

Found resolution by posting the same question in a different fashion.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Automation-on-Alteryx-Server/m-p/91877...

jrsheppard
7 - Meteor

you can - use a batch macro with a control parameter.

Labels