Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Assigning ID numbers to 3 rows consecutively for data set

Breauxdeur
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx community,

I'm attempting to achieve a loop function in Alteryx to add ID #s to my records. A simple one will work where I start with 1 and +1 every 3 records. My data set looks like the the screenshot here:

dylanmbrodeur_0-1645737543347.png

And I would like it to look like this:

dylanmbrodeur_1-1645737592095.png

I'm not sure how to even start going about this besides using the sort tool to put the records in order. I picture I will need to somehow reference the record before and evaluate if it equals the 2 before it to determine if +1 needs to occur.

Thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to help!

Best,

Dylan

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Breauxdeur 

Assuming your data follows the pattern of the sale being the first item in the grouping, you could use a multi-row formula tool like so:

Luke_C_0-1645738826602.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus
Breauxdeur
5 - Atom

@binuacs  Thanks!

Breauxdeur
5 - Atom

@Luke_C Thank you, helpful for when the data sets are too big for the tile tool

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Breauxdeur the Tile tool should work for the large data set as well, you need simply update the Number of tiles based on the total number of records, If you have total of 12 records and you want to group them with the size of 3 then divide the total number of records by group in this case 12/3=4, then assign the result in the number of tiles column

Breauxdeur
5 - Atom

In this instance, I had millions of transactions and the title tool wouldn't let me input a number high enough

Labels