Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Applying Conditions in Developing App

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi Team,

Hope you are well. I need help.

Please find below the description of my problem

I am trying to develop a App where in user can enter the key word and the app can extract all the location of the files or folders with the user input keyword.

Description of the problem

For e.g. if i have a sql database with two columns one is File/Folder Name and other column is Location of the folder. In this case of the file name is Payrol and there will be a location where this file is saved.

When the user inputs "Payrol" the App should share the location of the file. I am kind of mocking it up by first reading files through my desk top and make the app search through it.

Current solution 

The app is running but its giving me all the files in that folder. I want only the files related to "payrol". I have tried using conditions in App but not sure how to go about it.

Need help

How can the app select the files or folders based on the user input Keyword.

sriniprad08_0-1679830619411.png

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Sri

16 REPLIES 16
BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@sriniprad08 :

""on point number 2). Is it possible to provide a location of a directory rather than a specific file location. ? ""

Yes (if I understand what you're asking correctly):

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1679833577890.png

See the part highlighted above? If you select that part, that allows you to replace the directory location. However, you'd have to think of how to configure that part. But you do have access to change that part which is good news!

Hopefully that's useful

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

@BS_THE_ANALYST Thank you. 

Where i can see the option for interface properties please

sriniprad08_0-1679833947682.png

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Thank you @BS_THE_ANALYST  Sorry i didnt get your sentence "However, you'd have to think of how to configure that part"

Cheers,

Sri

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@sriniprad08 how to access the interface designer: click View -> Interface Designer. Then click on the little settings cog

BS_THE_ANALYST_2-1679835812611.png

What I meant by "Configure that part":
You can certainly replace the entire directory path

BS_THE_ANALYST_1-1679835639395.png

As you can see it's highlighted in blue, meaning we can access it to replace it.

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi @BS_THE_ANALYST ,

Thank you for the all the support. Wonderful. I have couple of more questions .

Please find below if the file has multiple values and the if the user inputs multiple conditions is possible in the app to do generate the outpu1 and output2 like below.

sriniprad08_0-1679854931327.png

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Sri

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@sriniprad08 yes you can achieve your next request. Here, you will need to leverage a topic called Chained Apps. The reason: you need to take the results after the user filters i.e. they choose sam (therefore filtering the current data just to Sam) and then from this, make another filter choice. You could chain multiple apps for multiple filtering if you so wished.

Firstly, learn about chained apps, to understand the nuances: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Learning-Paths/Advanced-Certification-Learning-Path/ta-p/660137#don... 

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1679857023324.png

Click on this lesson, and you'll learn about Chained Apps. 

In brief, I've got what you require. However, I'd learn on the interactive lessons so you can tweak things yourself 😁

BS_THE_ANALYST_1-1679857118862.png

BS_THE_ANALYST_2-1679857142331.png

For now, open Chain1:

BS_THE_ANALYST_3-1679857245944.png

1. Configure the Output tool to a place where you want the first filtered results to output. 
Then do the same for the input file in Chain2:

BS_THE_ANALYST_8-1679857843925.png

2. In the Interface Designer in Chain1, go point it to Chain2:

BS_THE_ANALYST_5-1679857367847.png

3. In chain 2, ensure this part is enabled. It makes sure the user gets the results displayed to them.

BS_THE_ANALYST_7-1679857424975.png

I've attached the .yxmd files. Just run the Chain1 as an Analytic App using the wand next to the run button.

(I'm guessing something is likely to go wrong as I've missed a step when explaining it) 😂. Hopefully you get 95% of the way, and the lesson will help guide the rest. 

All the best,
BS

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi @BS_THE_ANALYST ,

Thank you so much :). Great really helpful. I didnt know about chained apps. Thanks for introducing and sharing the information. I will go through it.

I will try to execute the and get back to you incase of any thing i missed. mostly will fix it  with all your inputs and solution :).

Hope you had a nice weekend,

cheers,

Sri

Labels