Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append Data to Template then re-save file name with date - Possible?

recoilx
8 - Asteroid

Please tell me if this is possible because I can't seem to get this to work.

I have an empty template excel file on my C: drive that only contains Column Headers which are formatted.  I am trying to run a workflow that will take data, append it to the template file (Starting on second row) and then resave the template (with the new data) as a new file with today's date at the end of the file name.  I have attached some screenshots and the workflow but I can't seem to figure out a way of doing this.  Is this even possible?  Any help would be tremendously appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

It is possible.

The method I use involves the Blob tools.

You first copy the template file and save it as a new file so your original template remains untouched for future uses.

Then you output your data to the specific ranges you are wanting.

This is an example workflow I built for someone else a while back, but it think it should help you as well.

In this example, I wrote to two ranges in the same sheet of a template excel file that has sum formulas in it.

SPetrie_0-1683919059297.png

Template file

SPetrie_1-1683919101798.png

Output File

SPetrie_2-1683919139888.png

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@recoilx 

What is happening is that the existing file is Template.xlsx.
And you in the formula tool change the name to template + year month and day. This file does not exist and you are appending a non-existent file,

I reviewed your flow at a glance

I put the attached workflow

geraldo_0-1683920010267.png

recoilx
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @geraldo and @SPetrie !

Labels