Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx workflow - Memory limit

DustinNg
5 - Atom

Hi guys, 

Have a question regarding memory limit of Alteryx workflow and would have some wise advice from our community, 

Basically, every time we run a workflow, Alteryx will assign a fixed space in memory for it. If size of the extract surpasses that memory limit, it’ll stop. 

I tried to increase this limit to 12GB via User Settings, but the limit still got stuck around 4GB and can't go higher. 

DustinNg_0-1679000133069.png

DustinNg_1-1679000358380.png

Any idea how I can really push the size up to 12GB or any workaround when working with workflow with heavy nodes? 

Many thanks!  

3 REPLIES 3
RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @DustinNg 

1. Try using the Auto Field tool - it will significantly reduce your workflow size

2. Try using the Select Tool in your process so as to limit columns to only those that you need as your move along your process

3. How much RAM does your computer have? Settings don't matter if you do not have sufficient RAM

4. Try breaking down your process into multiple flows i.e. flows that process the parts + one main flow that combines the outputs of the parts into one output

5. If possible i.e. if you have Alteryx Server or permissions to run In-DB flows try that to leverage the Server/DB resources versus your desktop/laptop

6. Try limiting the use of joins or replacing memory-heavy tools such as Unique with Sample or using the Formula Tool to TRIM versus Data Cleanse

You will get more insight from the community, but I hope this helps you. Cheers!

DustinNg
5 - Atom

Great! Thanks so much Robert! 

Alteryx community is always da best

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

You're most welcome @DustinNg!

Labels