Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx to BigQuery Upload - Date Fields Converting to Strings

alvinmok
5 - Atom

I was trying to do BQ upload from Alteryx and for some reasons the field type would become “string” for “date” fields after it’s uploaded. The dates in Alteryx flow are in “Date” type and the date format is in yyyy-mm-dd.

alvinmok_0-1686771310054.png

I ran some SQL to convert date from string to date in BQ, and tried both “Overwrite Table” and “Delete Data & Append” (thought append would not change the field type) as my output options, but they both will overwrite the BQ table and change date to string fields. I also made sure the column orders are the same, but it doesn’t help. See below my output config.

alvinmok_1-1686771310066.png

After I ran SQL in BQ -

alvinmok_2-1686771310067.png

After running the flow with output config shown above..

alvinmok_3-1686771310069.png

Any way we can solve this issue, so I don’t need to run SQL in BQ every time I update the table? Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3
franciscoruizrise
7 - Meteor

I have the same issue while trying a BULK upload data into BigQuery, DATE fields are converted into STRING and I haven´t been able to solve it.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

can you capture your odbc driver logs (toggle on logging in odbc 64) and look for any sensitive data. If there is no sensitive data - upload them. This could be at the APi level, the driver level or the implementation level. 

Does datetime work the same?

franciscoruizrise
7 - Meteor

Hello,

This issue was resolved in the latest PATCH:

Designer 2023.2 Release Notes (alteryx.com)

TDCB-4948

GCSE-1521

BigQuery Bulk Loader loads date fields as strings.

Fixed

But DATETIME fields are still being written in BigQuery as TIMESTAMP.

Regards.

Labels