Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx and API Calls

btthornhill
7 - Meteor

hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to pull data from an API call into Alteryx. I have read a good bit of material but keep getting error messages with no data.

I have

A request URL

Username

Password

API/Subscription Key

content-type = application/json

and the GET/Post = Post

Can someone please help?

Capture.PNG

I go from Access Denied to  Resource Not Found

In the Download tool I have the following... the header has "Authorization" checked... Payload  is "Post" and has "Authorization" and "Subscription key" checked

Capture1.PNG

Im cannot get any data to come through

Thanks!

20 REPLIES 20
btthornhill
7 - Meteor

I left the grant-type value  as "client_credentials" in the payload section

btthornhill
7 - Meteor

sorry.. looks like the "scope parameter is need.. thanks for your patience and help!

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you make sure that the name is grant_type and not grant-type. Underscore vs hyphen would prevent it from working as well. 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Of course and don’t be sorry! APIs can be very tricky so I’m glad I could help figure it out with you!

btthornhill
7 - Meteor

good catch... ok now im getting this error....

{"error":"invalid_scope","error_description":"The scope parameter was not included in the request"}

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Can you try completely removing scope? My understanding from the documentation was that not providing a scope allows for all scopes to be used that the credential has access to in the bearer token. 

btthornhill
7 - Meteor

I dont have scope anywhere... I have attached screenshots of the workflow and the download tool.... 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hmm do you know what resources you need access to? It gives some examples of scopes at the bottom of the page here https://developer.blackbaud.com/skyapi/products/bbem/oneroster/authorization 

btthornhill
7 - Meteor

need access to all data, I have set RE to that scope.. still getting scope error....   do I need to put it somewhere?

Felix_G
5 - Atom

I wish I new why this is the answer but it will probably solve your problem

Do not pass in grant_type as a field 
 In the payload section of the download tool add a line 

grant_type          client_credentials 

and I believe this will solve your issue

But I would love to know what the download tool is sending , and why it is wrong -- if what is being sent could be captured for Debugging API commands this would be the perfect tool

Labels