Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Server, How to read a daily updated CSV automatically

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I run a workflow from the server, it seems to me it is read froming a static csv file each time.

This file is actually updated daily but the server doesnt seem to read the latest version.

Ie , the workflow is reading from _externals\1\New_Request.csv , which in my mind is a static file.

How can I get it to update and read the newly refreshed csv file on my desktop?

14 REPLIES 14
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @wonka1234 

I would recommend checking to see if the file has been packaged within your workflow. If it has, it could be caching the data and not pulling the latest file.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @wonka1234 

The server runs on another machine, so it does not have access to your local desktop folders. One way to solve this is to have a network shared folder shared with your machine and with the server machine, and put this daily file there, so both machines will be able to access it.

Once you have this done, follow these steps to make it work: Solved: Re: Input file from Network Shared Drive - Alteryx Community

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Felipe_Ribeir0  Ah so the problem is the file is only stored locally and not on a shared drive. Is there an alteryx method of 1) Saving a copy of my local csv to a network drive 2) using that network drive file in my workflow all in one.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@wonka1234 how do you receive this csv daily? The same method that is saving this csv to your local folder couldnt be used to save it on the network shared folder? This would solve it

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Felipe_Ribeir0  cannot be done, its from power automate and my company has rules where it cannot go to network drive. 

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@wonka1234 do you have some database or cloud available? You could use the power automate to write these rows on the SQL Server for example or to save the csv on the AWS s3 and access it with Alteryx from these places.

Unfortunately, to move it from your local machine to your shared folder you would need something running specifically on your local machine doing this, like a manual workflow that you would need to open everyday and run it.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Felipe_Ribeir0  sigh . That sounds so complicated just to get a file to run. I dont have all those techs available.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@wonka1234  remembered one good one that you surely have. you could save this data into a sharepoint list with the power automate and read the list with alteryx

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Felipe_Ribeir0  Wait! how do I read in a sharepoint list into alteryx?! That is where my data originates!

Labels