Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Macros problems

moshood
8 - Asteroid

Hi all, 

I had a working macro which was pulling data from various excel documents (batch macro). this Macro has suddenly stop working correctly. it is now pulling one line of data for the amount of files to be pulled in and sometimes not working at all. 

Due to data security i can not share the files but can some please arrange a call with me to troubleshoot 

Thanks in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I don't think anyone can arrange a call with you... but based on your request, let's try to troubleshoot this way:

• Can you screenshot the workflow?
  • Paste the error messages that you see on your Workflow here.
  • Are your Excel files of the same schema? If not, did you configure the Batch Macro in your interface designer to go by name?
  • Did you output your full file path? 
  • Is your sample used in your Batch Macro dummy data or real data?
  • Did anything change between the last time you ran it and now?
Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
EfrainGraham
5 - Atom

Hey there i can see your post i have some suggetion

1. Review Macro Code: Start by reviewing the macro code to identify any potential errors or issues. Check for any recent changes or updates that might have affected its functionality. Look for specific lines of code that handle the file pulling process and data extraction.

2. Debugging Tools: Utilize Excel's built-in debugging tools to identify the specific point where the macro is encountering errors or unexpected behavior. You can use breakpoints, watch variables, and step through the code to isolate the problem.

3. Check File Paths and Names: Verify that the file paths and names used in the macro are correct and match the actual locations and names of the Excel files you want to pull data from. Ensure that the macro can access the files and that they are not locked or in use by another process.

4. Error Handling: Implement proper error handling in your macro to capture and handle any potential errors or exceptions that might occur during the data pulling process. This can help you identify specific issues and provide more informative error messages.

5. Data Format and Structure: Confirm that the data in the Excel files being pulled matches the expected format and structure defined in your macro. Inconsistent or unexpected data formatting or structure can cause issues during the data extraction process.

6. Test with Sample Files: If possible, create a set of sample Excel files that resemble the structure and data format of your actual files. Use these sample files to debug and troubleshoot the macro without sharing sensitive data.

7. Consider External Factors: Consider any recent changes to your system, such as updates to Excel or changes in security settings, that might have affected the macro's behavior. It's also worth checking if any security software or antivirus programs are interfering with the macro's execution.

8. Seek Expert Assistance: If you've exhausted your troubleshooting efforts and the TellHappyStar Survey issue persists, you might consider reaching out to Excel experts or forums where you can provide more specific details about your macro and seek assistance.

Thanks and regards

EfrainGraham

DanielG
12 - Quasar

@moshood --  at the bottom of this page is a button to submit a support ticket with Alteryx.  Given the sensitive nature of your data, it would be best to go through them directly due to NDAs.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Support/bd-p/SupportPage

If your company has a customer success manager aligned, I'd actually start there before the support ticket, but those are the best options for openly discussing your actual macro/data.  

Hope this helps.  🙂

Labels