Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Alteryx Designer - Alteryx Server Migration

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Have been trying to migrate workflows from Alteryx Designer/Alteryx Scheduler environment to Alteryx Server

Old connections working in designer - odbc:DSN=TESTDB

When I setup a data connection on the Alteryx Server - the connection string looks something like below on the server

odbc:DRIVER={ODBC Driver 17 for SQL Server};UID=abc_123;PWD=ABC};DATABASE=ABC;SERVER=DEF

When I try to save workflows on the server using the string above - I get the below Error's

1) If I keep the connection string in designer as odbc:DRIVER={SQL Server};Database=TESTDB; Server=DEF, The workflow runs on the designer but when I save it on the server, I get 

the error - Cannot open database "TESTDB" requested by the login,The login failed.

2) if I add username and password to the string , 

odbc:DRIVER={SQL Server};Database=TESTDB; Server=DEF; UID=abc_123;PWD=ABC

I get the error login failed for the user abc_123 on both designer and server.

Let me know if I'm missing anything on both the steps.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @rahulshetty925, after adding the data connection on the Gallery and sharing it with your user, you then need to update all the Data Input tools with that new connection from the Gallery. Just pasting the connection string on the input tool will not work. 

rahulshetty925
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

The issue was resolved after adding data connections as System DSN on the server.

This particular article was really helpful in resolving this issue.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Error-Data-source-name-not-found-an...

Thank you.

Rahul

Labels