Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Aging Calculation taking Holidays into consideration

ebowlan
6 - Meteoroid

Hello - I have two columns of dates that I am trying to calculate aging while removing weekends and holidays.  I have a file showing all holidays for my company that I have added into the workflow as a text input.  I would like to do something similar to the Networkdays calculation in excel.  I know Alteryx does not do this same type of thing.  Is there a way I can calculate this in the attached file (Closed-Created)?  

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @ebowlan ,

In this post, I have created a workflow that replicates the Networkdays formula of Excel

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/how-to-convert-network-formula-and-MOD...

Maybe you can use that for your instance?

Thanks,

Angelos

cgoodman3
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

I am on my phone at the moment so I can’t help with screenshots, but based on the information provided I’ll try and do my best:

if I look at Networkdays in excel you have three parameters:

=NETWORKDAYS(start_date, end_date, [holidays])

The function uses the following arguments:

1. Start_date (required argument) – Start_date can either be earlier than end_date, later than end_date, or same as end_date.
  2. End_date (required argument) – The end date.
  3. Holidays (optional argument) – This specifies the list of holidays that should be excluded from the work days calculation. We can enter it as a range of cells that contain the holiday dates (that is F2:F4) or as a list of serial numbers that represent the holiday dates.

To replicate this using Alteryx:

1) add a record ID to your data so you have something to groupby later

2) using the generate rows tool you can densify your date by creating a date record for every date between the [Created] and [Closed] date.

3) if you join your densified dataset (left input) against your list of holiday dates (right input) you can use the join as a filter. Dates that match will come out of the J output, but dates that don’t match will come out the L output (hence you’ve removed the holidays

4) for each date you can use a formula tool to get the day of the week. DateTimeFormat([DateField],"%u") will give you the day of the week where Monday = 1 and Sunday = 7.
5) Filter for day of the week being <6 ie a weekday

6) use a summarise tool to group by record ID and count of the dates to get the equivalent of Networkdays

Chris
Check out my collaboration with fellow ACE Joshua Burkhow at AlterTricks.com
Labels