Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Adding a section break in a chart

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to make a bar chart or line chart that contain past booking and future predicted booking. I would like to add something to make the reader aware of the fact that this is just an estimate and not past data. In excel I can just add a line in or a box surrounding that area (attached picture) but I don't know if Alteryx has something like that.

It doesn't have to be a line/box. Anything that can separate the two part (color.. etc) will be great.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@LinhNguyen 

Could you please attach the picture of what you have in mind? Thanks.

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

@MichalM 

Attached here is the picture. Thank you!

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@LinhNguyen 

Within the Interactive Chart tool you are able to add a note to help users understand what they're looking at. You will not be able to draw a rectangle just add an arrow and a piece of text.

simple-note.png

An alternative would be to create a new variable which we can use to differentiate between the past and future bookings - you can use the Formula tool to create it

category.png

You build the chart as you normally would and then use the Category within Transforms to split the data 

transforms.png

You add a note and hide the arrow

notes.png

And get a chart like the below. You can also change the colours used for the Categories within Style > Layer.

chart.png

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hi @MichalM ,

Thank you. I would love to create the type and transform the chart, but my interactive chart tool doesn't have the transform tab. Is it something in a newer version of Alteryx?

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

You're right. The Transform functionality has been introduced in version 2019.2. Are you able to update to the latest version @LinhNguyen?

LinhNguyen
8 - Asteroid

I'm afraid I'll have to give this app to other people after building it and most people in my company has the same 2018 version. Is there any way I can accomplish this in the 2018 version?

If possible I want to stick to the line chart because I think there's a bug in the bar chart. It's not shown in the graph even though when I hover over the chart, a point appear. I created a simple workflow to test the bar chart with negative values and it doesn't work in my computer but worked for another person from this forum. Probably the problem with this version again.

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@LinhNguyen 

The only other option would be to use the deprecated Charting tool - to enable it, right-click anywhere on your tool palette and click Show Deprecated Tools - Charting tool will appear in the Reporting category.

deprectaed-tools.png

charting.png

You will then need to pivot your data so that you end up with two columns - "Past" values and "Future" values. The Crosstab tool will help you with that.

future-past.png

Once you have the data in the correct format, configure the Charting tool with "Past" as Series 1 and "Future" as Series 2 to get the result you need.

line-series.pngchart-past-future.png

Labels