Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Adding Blank Columns to a Table

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Hi All!  Honestly at this point I am so confused with what is going on in my workflow I wasn't even sure how to title this discussion.  I've tried to include a diagram/pictures to help show what I am trying to accomplish. 

So, where to start?  Essentially I have a workflow where the user is to upload a report based on a specific grouping.  I then have the workflow go on and perform various calculations and that all works fine.  Where I am getting tripped up is that I then want the workflow to add blank columns depending on what 'Testing Conditions' have been selected.  For example if testing condition 'A' is selected I want it to add columns 'A1', 'A2' and 'A3' to the table.  Please refer to the attached file for an example of what the interface looks like. 

How I actually have this set up in my workflow is a 'Check Box Tool' to select whether or not the testing condition is relevant.  This then goes to an 'Action Tool', which then connects to a 'Detour Tool'.  The 'Detour Tool' is also connect to a 'Text Input Tool' that tells the workflow which columns to add if the 'Checkbox Tool' is ticked.  

The 'Detour Tool' is then connected to a 'Union Tool' so that the additional columns are added to an existing table.  When I run the workflow just in the Designer this all seems to work fine.  All of the additional columns are added.  However, when I run the workflow from the Interface, if I do not select testing condition 'A' the workflow says there is no output.  If I do select testing condition 'A' the columns for all of the other testing conditions are still added to the table even though I have not selected them in the interface.  

Help please!!!

10 REPLIES 10
mattnason1
9 - Comet

Oh that's great.  Sorry it was a pain to get to.

Labels