Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Add field to existing dataset based on non-unique ID

walkerj7
7 - Meteor

I have a large report that I run daily and I need to add a field based on non-unique IDs.  I've tried running a join based on Code and Country but I get no output.

Table 1 (Existing Report)

IDFirst NameLast NameCodeCountryCosts
1JohnWillis1234USA$20000
2JackDiamond4567USA$35000
3DallasFranklin1478Mexico$25000
4JulieDouglas4246Ireland

$2500

Table 2 (New Report)

CodeCountryTaxes
1234USA$500
4567USA$550
1478Mexico$300
4246Ireland$600

Final report should include Table 1 with the addition of the field  "Taxes".  Any help would be great.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@walkerj7 are the code in the same format for both tables, i.e are they both numeric or both strings, that could cause you issue with their being no outputs from the join

walkerj7
7 - Meteor

Yes, all fields match data types.

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

are they all in the same order? if so you might be able to join based on position and use that as a work around

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

otherwise try using a data cleanese for both to ensure there is no trailing spaces/duplicate white spaces etc and that might help as for a join to work you need exact matches

walkerj7
7 - Meteor

This is a large dataset with thousands of rows with combinations of code and country.  The columns are in the same order in each data set but the combinations are not.

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@walkerj7 I meant are the rows the same, in your example it seemed to be a perfect match between the 2 reports, or again with the thousnds or rows this wouldn't be the case?

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Your original solution would be what I would’ve done. Can you post a workflow showing your configurations? There should be an output from the J anchor based on what you described. 

otherwise it would also be useful to see the expected output so we can visualize what is wanted

walkerj7
7 - Meteor

After using the data cleanse tool I able to join the fields properly.  Thanks for your help.

Labels