Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

A little help with multiple Excel output files, based on 1 column of data.

Motivator
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have been looking through the current articles, and found a few that seems to show options, but I can't find anything that is clear enough for me.

I have a set of Data that  includes a column showing sets of names.

Column1

David

David

Jane

Jane

Jane

Fred

Fred

It then has further data, for each row, So I would like to produce a separate Excel file for David, Jane and Fred with the rows associated with that name?

Please can someone help?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Motivator 

The below step helps to achieve your output in different files.

ShankerV_0-1674583585376.png

Note: The workflow used to achieve the solution is attached which can be downloaded to see how the solution works.

If you believe your problem has been resolved. Please mark helpful answers as a solution so that future users with the same problem can find them more easily!!!!

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Motivator 

Expected output:

ShankerV_0-1674583679752.png

ShankerV_1-1674583722637.png

Input was:

ShankerV_2-1674583752961.png

Note: If you have 10 different names, 0r 100, it will create 10/100 separate xlsx files containing their data only.

If you believe your problem has been resolved. Please mark helpful answers as a solution so that future users with the same problem can find them more easily!!!!

Many thanks

Shanker V

Motivator
7 - Meteor

Hi, That's gets me a lot further, thanks. But it fails at the last step with error opening the excel file

"Error: Output Data (19): Error opening file: C:\Users\dp36405\Output 24012023.xlsx|||C__Users_dp36405_David.xlsx"

Do I need to create each name file ion the folder first?

Thanks for you help.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Motivator 

The file named David, Jane etc are created in the first run itself.

Then for the second run, we need to delete the previously created files or change the path to new folder and run the output with the same setting in output tool.

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Motivator 

Please find the output setting changed one, where you will be able to overwrite the output each time when your run the workflow multiple times.

Works for the second and 3rd run also.

ShankerV_0-1674641080677.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

Raj
14 - Magnetar

or you can just simply select the append to existing option

Motivator
7 - Meteor

HI,  Thanks for that, but it is the first run that is not working, it isn't creating the excel spreadsheet?

Sorry for the delays I am working on other normal business things at the same time.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

@Motivator 

Based on the error message I see the below file name as

"Error: Output Data (19): Error opening file: C:\Users\dp36405\Output 24012023.xlsx|||C__Users_dp36405_David.xlsx"

Post .XLSX||| It should have the sheet name right. Why again the .XLSX name.

So there is something went wrong in the formula tool.

Many thanks

Shanker V

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Motivator 

Please check this part, as mentioned in the recent reply.

ShankerV_0-1674653271450.png

Labels