Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Tackling the Alteryx Designer Core exam can be daunting, but it doesn't have to be! 

With the new, stackable Alteryx Designer Core Micro-Credentials, you can focus on one section at a time, allowing you to build up your knowledge and confidence in each topic before moving on to the next. Plus, you'll be able to celebrate small successes along the way. 

The Alteryx Designer Core Micro-Credentials cover the basics of Alteryx Designer and are broken down into four individual exams that you can take in any order. Passing all four exams is the equivalent of passing the Designer Core exam and will earn you the Core certification. 

Micro credentials (1).png

The General Knowledge exam tests your familiarity with the basic features of Designer. General knowledge includes Designer features such as the canvas, file formats, and workflow optimization.  

The Data Preparation exam tests your knowledge, skills, and abilities of the Input/Output and Preparation tools in Designer. This includes the Data Cleansing, Filter, Formula, Sample, Select, Select Records, Sort, and Unique tools. 

The Data Manipulation exam tests your knowledge, skills, and abilities of the Join and Parse toolset in Designer. The Join and Parse toolsets include the tools that are used most often in Alteryx Designer to blend data together or parse it out and are fundamental to data preparation and analysis.  

The Data Transformation exam tests your knowledge, skills, and abilities of the Transform toolset in Designer and your ability to apply your knowledge to change the direction of the data and summarize the data using the Transpose, Summarize, and CrossTab tools.  

Each micro-credential is available for free and on-demand, so you can certify whenever it is convenient for you. Earn one, mix and match them, or pass all four Alteryx Designer Core Micro-Credential exams to receive your Alteryx Designer Core Certification. It’s up to you! 

The Alteryx Designer Core Micro-Credentials are only available to those who are not yet Core Certified or beyond. Each micro-credential expires after 2 years. You may retake and pass each one, take and pass the Alteryx Designer Core exam, OR the Alteryx Designer Advanced exam to renew your micro-credentials. After the first year of certification, you become eligible to retake the exam to recertify. 

If you have questions about micro-credentials, please contact the Alteryx Certification Team at certification@alteryx.com. 

Comments
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

This incremental approach sounds great for the leaners. Thanks!

By the way, the image above shows "Designer Cloud Core",

but I understand from the text that you mean "Designer Core" (for the Desktop version).

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Interesting - probably quite helpful for early learners that can't invest too much time into learning Alteryx.

What is the reasoning for the different coloring of these ones and the other two micro-credentials (especially Foundation).

Don't they belong to the same "group" of certifications? 

ashleysarnacki
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for catching that @Yoshiro_Fujimori! The four micro-credentials are equal to the Designer Core Certification (Desktop).

bethnichols21
Alteryx
Alteryx

@FrederikE 

Great question! It is the same shape as the other micro-credentials, but it has the color of the Core. These are the first micro-credentials that will stack to create a full credential, so the colors will reflect the full credential. 

JORGE4900
8 - Asteroid

Oh! I just noticed that those new micro-credentials are considered certified, if someone has the Alteryx Core certification.

Kinetic_analytics
11 - Bolide

A timely innovation. Appreciate the new arrangement. 

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for this option! Would there be something similar for the Advanced Cert?

anttirask
5 - Atom

This was a great change!

I actually took advantage of the new opportunity and passed all four exams.

I do have one question about the badges, though.

I've now received the four individual badges via Credly. Should there be a fifth one, the Designer Core, coming? The same way I see all 5 in my profile, that is.

Cheers!

anttirask
5 - Atom

Since I can't edit the previous message, I'll update here that I did receive the full badge. It just took a bit longer than the other badges to arrive.

JJungers
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Alayna - The Certification team will be updating the Designer Desktop Advanced exam this year. It is not on our roadmap to break that exam up into MCs, but we're always reviewing and evaluating our roadmap against our users' needs, so we may consider that for a future development opportunity.

jenbil
5 - Atom

It would be nice if this new approach were explicitly marked as a replacement for the previous Core Certification, or noted that it is now a series of tests.  I was so confused, because everyone had told me to find the Core Certification exam that was 80 questions long and 120 minutes.  Just a comment from a noob.

jaygarcia
Alteryx
Alteryx

Certifications validate your capabilities. “Earning your stripes” by completing courses, tasks, and tests gives you confidence. That self-assurance can take you a long way when talking to employers about why you are a qualified candidate. 

Keep in mind that holding certifications have potential earnings increase of $5,000 to upward of $20,000 annually.