Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Women of Analytics

Women of Analytics | Who inspires you?

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

got thoughts_WoA.png

Think about the Women of Analytics in your life -- the women you admire. A friend. A co-worker. A senior leader at your company.  @LDuane.  @LangleyE.  @LauraS.  Women’s History Month is an opportunity to celebrate these phenomenal women and all the others across the greater Alteryx Community -- to recognize their achievements in the analytics space, and to focus on what still needs to be done to achieve gender equality.

For this week’s Thursday Thought, let’s take the time to celebrate and support Women of Analytics across the globe!

Question:

Who are the Women of Analytics in your life that inspire you and why?

15 REPLIES 15
TuvyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My first day at Alteryx was also my first day of bootcamp, and I remember seeing and listening to 3 women--who completely blew me away: @MelissaR@LangleyE, and @AshleyK. They held a captive audience from beginning to end (I ran into @MelissaR in the bathroom, was starstruck, and proceeded to tell her so!). With a blend of knowledge, wit, and confidence, I can safely assume that I wasn't the only person in class wanting to hear and learn more. As I've continued my journey with Alteryx, the inspiration has grown with @TatianaS for her ability to view every situation from 7 different angles, @LaurenU for her generosity and patience to give 100% to every group/project/whiteboard session, and @LDuane for having the insight to create a Customer Advocacy department--truly putting our money where our mouth is. I tell my friends, family, pretty much anyone who'll listen, that I love being a part of such a wonderfully supportive and encouraging team, I love owning the chance to collaborate with intelligent and creative minds, I love being able to ask all the questions without fear of judgment or silence. @JulieH@LeahK@ChristineB@TaraC AKA The WonderWomen of Community have all built a wonderful Community for Alteryx, both on and offline, and I couldn't be more proud or thrilled to be a part of both! 

“You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe.” - Leyman Gbowee

Tuvy Le
Manager, Community ACE Program
JoeM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

My wife, Rachel, is the woman who inspires me. Rachel and I graduated from the same college in the same degree. Since we had aligned our education so closely, I had to bear my fair-share of humility as she persistently and quietly outperformed me in just about every facet of education. In our professional lives, she serves others as a labor and delivery nurse, but this certainly does not preclude her from her analytical demeanor. In the hospital she recently joined 2 years ago, she has quickly risen as an effective agent of triage, scheduling, data gathering, and making tougher decisions than I'll ever have to face in my work life.  In addition to all this, she not only is a sharp tack, but her analytical aptitude  it is tempered by heart,  manner, respect, and good-will. 

Rachel and I recently just had a little girl this past fall. I've said it before and continue to say  it; I could not be more happy that Rachel and I have another 'woman for the world'.

LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Love that we finally have a space on the Community to share our stories and connect with other amazing women in analytics!

I first want to start off with @TaylorM, she took me under her wing when I was just starting here at Alteryx. I owe a lot to her for who I am today, she has taught me how to be patient, to listen, and most of all looking at the data and applying it. Thank you so much for always being there for me when I needed to sling crazy ideas.

@TatianaS, my travel buddy (We've been to Paris and back!). I have so much respect for her. We are like oil and water but she is awesome at keeping the me grounded and focused on what the goals are and what needs to be accomplish. She also provides snacks and fancy printed out agendas at meetings. 

@TuvyL thank you so much for showing me new perspectives and how to view my world through a different lens. 

@MahshidB I always admire an analysts perspective. Thank you for taking the time out to talk data with me. 

Lastly a shout out to @MaddieJ our new team member! Even though we have barely made it through your first week, I admire you willingness to jump to the challenge and your creativity! 

TatianaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Women, both in the past and present, inspire me every day. Sometimes inspiration comes in the form of motivation, encouragement, energy, influence, or a stir. It’s packaged in books, speeches, music, friends and family, associates at work in projects, and meetings. Thanks to the community for providing a space to share including @LeahK,  @JulieH,  @TaraM, and @ChristineB

Here at Alteryx:

I am honored to work with women who support and encourage one another to be their best, which includes so many at Alteryx. For those, I’ve worked most closely with I’d love to share a few words. @LaurenU, you are totally giving and embody team spirit. @TuvyL, any company would be lucky to have you on their team, and I am so glad you are at Alteryx.  @MahshidB, you consider the whole picture with projects in a way that certainly influences me.  

@KristiT, @LisaS, and @SuzanneD—what a joy (the wisdom, the humor, the encouragement…) it is to work closely with you all here in Irvine.  @BethN, I am endlessly encouraged by your work ethic and your ability to engage many from different teams under a shared vision. @MollyT, I absolutely enjoy being a content duo with you. I’ve had the pleasure of watching @LDuane speak in action a few times including at Inspire. Her emphasis and focus on our customers are inspiring. Looking forward to Inspire 2018 in Anaheim.

In Books:

The Dream of a Common Language by Adrienne Rich

On Photography by Susan Sontag

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Feminist Literary Theory and Criticism: A Norton Reader

In Speeches:

The Danger of a Single Story by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

The Power of Vulnerability by Brené Brown

Music:

Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys

You Don’t Own Me-Lesley Gore

Tatiana Servin
Content Marketing
Alteryx
BethN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@TatianaS - You single handedly made my day. Thank you for being your fabulous self. It is an absolute pleasure to have you as a colleague, and call you a friend!

Nezrin
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

For me, its my manager @Kumspo who continues to inspire me at work. Being my colleague and friend, I must tell you that there are no tools which she hasn't got her hands on. During my initial Alteryx days, she was my go -to person, and still is ! When you have passion for analytics and you continuously try to blend tools such as Alteryx to your day to day at work, having someone to appreciate and acknowledge is truly important- that's where she actually becomes a gem. Thank you so much for continuously inspiring me and letting the 'analytics in me' grow. Truly honored to work with you - lets continue to support and encourage each other, I'm sure there's lot more to conquer !  

Thanks,
Nez
Alteryx ACE | Sydney Alteryx User Group Lead | Sydney SparkED Contributor