Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Women of Analytics

Dallas Women of Analytics Group

Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi, everyone!  I am starting a Women of Analytics Subgroup in our Dallas Alteryx User Group, thanks to Charity's inspiration for having quarterly meetings and webinars.  I reached out to Julie and she mentioned this would be permissible - and encouraged!

I have asked Charity to be on the leadership team for this subgroup, and she has accepted!  :)  I have a few others in mind to ask to join the leadership team, and will post them as they are added.  Our bimonthly Dallas Alteryx User Group meeting is this Thursday, so we will be happy to announce the new subgroup and have members join.

Please consider starting your own Women of Analytics subgroup in your local Alteryx User Groups; this would be an outstanding way to reach so many and provide resources and recognitions!

Thank you, @JulieH and @Charity_K_Wilson!

@Deanna

(Adding @TuvyL and Lauren Uyeno, Alteryx User Groups)

Deanna
16 REPLIES 16
Aimee_R
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much for also having a WebEx option!!  I was bummed about not being able to attend and now I can :)

Looking forward to it!

Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Thank you, @Aimee_R!  I am glad we can connect via WebEx!  We plan to have more events that include a virtual meeting option, so I am excited to see all that can be accomplished this way.  I look forward to meeting you through the WebEx tomorrow!

@Deanna

Deanna
Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi, Alteryx Women of Analytics Group Members, and Happy New Year!

I wanted to let you know that we are having the next Dallas/Fort Worth Women of Analytics Meeting on Wednesday, January 16th, from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.!  For our first meeting of 2019, we decided to have a panel discussion featuring women in various fields and experience levels in Analytics!  Our guest panelists include:

• Dr. Assia Abada, Vice President of Analytics, Data Science and Business Intelligence, Brierley + Partners
  • Kristen Ellis, Insight Director, Ansira
  • Rachel Hill, Associate Data Scientist, Dr. Pepper Snapple Group
  • Swagata Kundu, MBA, Senior Business Analyst, Texas A&M University
  • Margarita Wilshire @MargaritaW, Senior Supervisor, Customer Support Engineering, Alteryx

If you are in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area, please join us as we listen to their journeys in the Analytics industry, how they have overcome challenges and celebrated triumphs, what softwares they utilize, and how they plan to use analytics next!  A Q&A session will be held after the panel discussion.

The meeting will be held in the conference room on the 1st floor at the following address:

Galleria Tower 1

1st Floor Conference Room

13355 Noel Road

Dallas, TX  75240

Light snacks and refreshments will be served.

For this meeting, parking is available in the Yellow Parking Garage near the Galleria 1 Tower starting at $10.  (We apologize that parking is unable to be validated for this meeting.)  However, parking at the Galleria is free if you park in the Galleria Blue Parking Lot near the Old Navy / Gap / Banana Republic entrances.  If you park in the Galleria Blue Parking Lot, please go to the 3rd floor of the Galleria to access the Galleria Tower 1 entrance, which is next to Champs. Then take the Galleria Tower 1 elevator down to the 1st floor to the main conference room.

Thank you to Saxony Partners for hosting our first meeting of 2019!  For more information regarding Saxony Partners, visit their website at https://saxonypartners.com/welcome/

Please reserve your spot today using this Eventbrite link https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dfw-women-of-analytics-meeting-january-16th-tickets-54304365820 , and join us as we celebrate Women of Analytics and promote gender parity, diversity, and inclusivity in the world of analytics and beyond!  As with this Alteryx Women of Analytics User Group on the Alteryx Community, the DFW Women of Analytics Group is open not only to women, but to all who support women of analytics.

DFW Women of Analytics on LinkedIn:  https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12121295

FaceBook:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1555083127935929/about/

We look forward to seeing you at the meeting; bring your business cards as well as questions for this chance to network with our notable panel guests, as well as fellow Women of Analytics and supporters!

@Deanna

Deanna
Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi, Women of Analytics Members!  I also wanted to provide some information to you, in case you may be interested in hosting a panel session for your own local Women of Analytics meetings.  In setting up a panel discussion, the DFW leadership team and I worked on the following items:

• A date and location for the meeting was confirmed prior to sending any emails to potential candidates for the panel.  This was done well in advance of the meeting, about 5 - 6 weeks ahead of the event.
  • We determined that the panel should be composed of people in the analytics field at varying stages in their careers, as well as various industries.  Panelists would be from a beginning stage (just out of college) to many years of experience.
  • We asked each leadership team member to provide a list of 5 potential candidates, and collaborated together to prioritize the combined list to only 5 panelists.  The leader who proposed each prioritized panelist was then responsible for contacting the panelist and confirming if they could attend; a specific date was set for confirmation of each panelist.  This was done about 4-5 weeks ahead of the upcoming meeting.
  • The leadership team also created a list of potential questions for the panelists that would be asked in the meeting.  These were sent to the panelists in the same email as when asked if they would be interested in serving on the panel.  This helped to prepare the potential panelist for the meeting, and to let them know what the session would be like.
  • The questions we included are:
    • How did you get your start in Analytics?
    • Can you describe your career path to where you are now?
    • And how did your skill set change through that path?
    • How have you seen the industry change and where do you see it going?
    • What has been a challenge in your career and how did you overcome?
    • What would you have done differently? Any courses you wish you taken or software you wish you learned?
    • What is your favorite tool and why?
  • The panel session for the upcoming meeting will be about 45 minutes, with a 30-minute Q&A session afterwards.  The questions above will be asked, and I am sure additional ones will be generated as the session continues!

Please let us know if you have any questions; we are looking forward to hearing the panelists talk about their journeys in analytics, and the conversations that will follow!  Thanks again, and hope you all have a prosperous and enjoyable New Year!

@Deanna

Deanna
Aimee_R
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @Deanna,

Will there be a WebEx option for this meeting?

Thanks so much!

Charity_K_Wilson
10 - Fireball

No, we are not going to try to do a Webinar. 

We tried last time and it was a huge distraction for the people who were there in person.

Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi, @Aimee_R!  I apologize for the delay in responding; it is true that we won't have a WebEx option for this meeting, especially with the room configuration for the panel.  However, as founder of the DFW Women of Analytics group, I believe that having a WebEx option is highly important, and allows for others to attend and benefit from the group meetings when they can't attend in person.

In addition, I believe the WebEx seemed to work well for the previous meeting (Rez, please let me know if the WebEx worked well for you), and I have only received one response that the WebEx was distracting; all other members who attended have not mentioned that they found it a distraction.  So, for future meetings, I plan to have them broadcast via WebEx; the topics and resources we discuss at the meetings are beneficial to all, and I want to make sure that everyone in the group can participate.

Thank you for asking, and please check in for a summary of the meeting afterwards; I look forward to talking with you soon, and seeing you in future WebEx meetings!

@Deanna

Deanna