Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Women of Analytics

A 2-minute video by an analytic women's group

OhYouAreThatAnna
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all, I organized an analytic women's group in the Raleigh-Durham area of RTP, with the only name I had at my disposal at the time: data+women. However, it is not a subgroup for Tableau. Its focus is to get women together eye-to-eye, because these analytic women likely don't get to work with other women in their day job. It has taken some time to build, but the momentum is growing. You might get some inspiration or tips and tricks for starting a women's group by watching our two-minute video or by looking at our meetup history at https://www.meetup.com/DataPlusWomenPlusTriangle/events/past/ 

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLfH0s48Y) 

7 REPLIES 7
LaurenU
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for sharing @OhYouAreThatAnna!

@Deanna @kscholer @charity_wilson @Commit check this out!

Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Awesome work, @OhYouAreThatAnna!  Love the video, and you all are doing a great job providing opportunities for women of analytics to meet, discuss, learn and collaborate!  I really like how you are creating ways to share resources and help women pursue a career in analytics.  This is something integral to solving the issue of the lack of women in the analytic fields - education.  Providing a means for women to pursue that education about analytics - whether through college courses, workshops, or even self-study (which Alteryx is excellent at providing through their online training activities), gives women the chance to become proficient in analytics, then apply for those jobs that previously may have seemed out of reach.

For our recently launched Dallas/Fort Worth Women of Analytics group, resources, training and education are at the core of what we do.  We strive to provide ways for members to enhance their knowledge, network with others, and pursue those amazing careers in analytics!

Thank you for sharing the video, and inspiring others to start their own women of analytics groups as well!

@Deanna

Deanna
TuvyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@OhYouAreThatAnna, that was so inspiring to watch--what a great group to be a part of! Thank you for sharing, and please keep us posted with upcoming events!!

Tuvy Le
Manager, Community ACE Program
OhYouAreThatAnna
6 - Meteoroid

@Deanna,

Thank you so much. I agree with you, the Alteryx training is a fantastic resource. (Inexpensive is great, because imposter-feeling women are likely being suckered into carrying too much higher-ed debt.) So, I am very curious. How does the DFW group provide an Alteryx license to a woman who doesn't use Alteryx with her day job, and therefore, doesn't have a license?

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @OhYouAreThatAnna thank you so much for this!  The best thing we can do for each other is provide support and collaboration while we all learn and improve our skills.  Keep up the great work!

Deanna
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Hi, @OhYouAreThatAnna!  That is an excellent question; our DFW group refers our members to download the free trial of Alteryx from the Alteryx website to try it out; in addition, if any of our members are students, they can apply for an Alteryx For Good license and possibly receive a desktop license for free (renewable after 1 year) while they are a student.  If any of our members work for a non-profit organization, they can also have their organization apply for an Alteryx For Good license as well.  I lead a team of volunteers from our DFW Alteryx User Group (which is separate from our DFW Women of Analytics Group) that helps non-profit organizations implement and utilize Alteryx, so the non-profit doesn't have to be "on their own" when they start using Alteryx.  :)  

For information about the Alteryx For Good license and how to apply, please see the link at https://www.alteryx.com/why-alteryx/alteryx-for-good .  If organizations need assistance with utilizing Alteryx For Good in your area, please see the AFG Co-Lab link at the bottom of the page; there are volunteers available to help!  In addition, if your user group is interested in starting an AFG effort, I would be glad to present via WebEx at your upcoming meeting, providing details on getting started and answering any questions!  (Please see the blog post on the Community to see how our Dallas volunteers have been helping The Commit Partnership since 2017:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-News/Continuing-the-Commitment-Alteryx-For-Good-Week-2018... )  Thanks, and please let me know if I can assist in any way!

@Deanna

cc @ToriA,  @QuyenT@TuvyL@LaurenU

Deanna
OhYouAreThatAnna
6 - Meteoroid

@Deanna,

I knew about AlteryxForGood, but now it's dawned on me that a strategy I can use is to recruit non-profit groups, who would be willing participate in a program where I find them a woman who can do analytic work for them, if they are willing to apply for an AFG license on her behalf. What an exchange! What a long shot! That's the kind of idea that takes a couple of years to work out! Well, every journey begins with one step...

Thank you for your information!