General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

What tools would YOU refresh with the new expression editor?

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

tools.gifWhen we released the new formula tool in 11.0, everyone was wondering when the filter tool was going to have the new expression editor, which got me thinking…

There are many tools that use the expression editor, some in the default configuration and some in a dialogue box.

GOT THOUGHTS_extra small.pngIf it were up to you, what three tools would you refresh with the new expression editor?

We’d love to hear your thoughts! Feel free to include as much or as little information as you like.

21 REPLIES 21
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
YES! Here's my votes!

1. Multi-Row Formula
2. Multi-Field Formula
3. Generate Rows Tool

Reasoning for all 3 is basically the same - if I like using the new expression editor on one formula at a time, then I will LOVE using it on formulas that do many things at one time!! Especially the Multi-Row tool... when you start getting into long formulas with multiple references to other rows and fields, would be SO helpful to just start typing the field I want, and then be able to pick whether I want it from the current row, previous row, etc.

Thanks!!!
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@LeahK,

How can I vote for options other than those of @NicoleJohnson?  I insert a new tool and reorder some of the same tools.

1. FILTER

2. Multi-Field Formula

3. Multi-Row Formula

Capture.png

I used an Alteryx Easter egg to go old-school on the tools.  As you can see, the Filter tool deserves a little TLC as it has been around longer than the Multi tools.  Since this is a THURSDAY thought, and Thursday is a Throwback day I encourage others to vote Filter into inclusion in the new expression editor club.

Cheers,

Mark

P.S.  Do you know how I converted the icons?  It is a trick that anyone can do.

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Number one for me, by a mile: Action Tool... from the Interface tab for use in macros... this results in some huge, ugly expressions and it would be really nice to have auto-complete and syntax highlighting there.

Others, also based on my typical expression complexity

Multi-Row

Multi-Field

Dynamic Rename

For me, my Filters, while ubiquitous, are usually pretty trivial, simple expressions.

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I'm going with....

1) Filter. You don't know how many times I've typed the first few letters of a variable/function followed by the tab. 

2) Multi-Row Formula. I love it's ability to group by, and I use it all the time.

3) Multi-Field Formula. I can imagine how great it will be when I only have to type _C and then tab to get the CurrentField.

4) Generate Rows. 3 expression editors for the price of 1. 

Philip
12 - Quasar

1. Filter Tool.

2. Multi-Field Tool.

3. Action Tool or Generate Rows Tool.

I would say no to the Multi-Row Tool first because it would also have to manage the negative and positive indexing. This would make it more difficult to implement cleanly, in my opinion. I'd rather go for the quicker wins.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Well, since we can't vote for ALL of the tools, here are mine:

1. Filter - Filter is a top tool/favorite. And an updated formula interface would be great

2. Generate Rows - all three pieces of it can use formulas, so again, updated interface here would be such a benefit!

3. Dynamic Select - another tool I use/teach often. Updated interface to make it easier!

Thanks for starting this discussion.

Warm regards, Esther

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi all,

My three tools are:

- Filter

- Multi-Row Formula

- Multi-Field Formula

But.... Why just three? I want it in all !!

We know you can!!  real-superman-superman-stuff.jpg

BTW: Just a quick comment on the new expression editor. When you use a String expression in it, that string turns italic and light green. There's something that bothers me, and is that the pipe ( | ) looks like the slash ( / ) when this happens.

DultonM
11 - Bolide

Definitely looking forward to more of the new expression editor! I heard at Inspire that work on the Filter tool is already begun, so excluding that one I'd say...

1) Multi-Row Formula (I use this a lot, and according to the Periodic table of Alteryx tools, a lot of other people do too!)

2) Multi-Field Formula (I use this a lot, and according to the Periodic table of Alteryx tools, a lot of other people do too!)

3) Action (for the same reason @JohnJPS...my most crazy expressions are in Action tools)

4) Dynamic Select

I had to throw the Dynamic Select up there because it's not even listed on the "expression editor" help page even though it has one! Its expression editor is unique due to the options you can pick under Variables --> Fields.

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

How about selecting priority based on usage? The Periodic Table of Alteryx tools https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Periodic-Table-of-Alteryx-tools/ba-p/64120 would put the order of priority at:

1. Filter

2. Multi-Field Formula

3. Multi-Row Formula

Somewhat related, the Regex tool also needs a better expression editor, at least a font like Courier New, and syntax highlighting would be ideal.

Labels