Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

What is the craziest thing/s for which you have used Alteryx for?

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

What is the craziest thing/s for which you have used Alteryx for?

Come on lets be Honest and Funny!.........!

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

Alteryx ACE | Alteryx For Good India Lead | Bengaluru Alteryx User Group Lead
18 REPLIES 18
andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Figuring out how many envelopes can fit in a box, Apple Health Data, job offer evaluations, vehicle cost of ownership per mile, and home solar panel installation are some of the more unusual use cases I have had. You have any good ones @ydmuley?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

scanned my inbox to understand clusters of e-mails to understand the patterns (to create better e-mail rules)

andrewdatakim
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

@SeanAdams,

That is awesome Sean! I have a couple inboxes that need cleaning. Were you able to clean up the rules? Now I am trying to think of a periodic flow that could help you're inbox reorganize itself. Were you able to push the rules back to your mailing application?

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey Andrew - sadly, I couldn't push the rules back automatically (our exchange server is fairly locked down), but it is definitely possible to identify the rules, and then either implement them through code or through the rules capability in outlook.   Bit manual, but helps to bring sense to the inbox a bit.

ydmuley
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Very interesting and truly crazy! @andrewkim80916 (I am having some problem while tagging, I am checking with the team)

Unfortunately, I have'nt tried anything crazy yet other than official, but hope to try my hands in the future.

Regards,
Yugandhar Muley (Yug)

Alteryx ACE | Alteryx For Good India Lead | Bengaluru Alteryx User Group Lead
david_fetters
11 - Bolide

For my entire adult life, I'd wanted to build a program/script/macro that would take a data file and a shape file, and output a properly formatted Google Earth KML choropleth complete with 3D polygons.  I wanted to be able to use color and altitude to display two separate variables, and use the inherent time codes within KMLs to show change over time.

Part of the difficulty of achieving this in Javascript and python was having to either preformat both the shape file and data file so that the actual scripting code could be pretty simple.  My code needed to strip a shape file into separate point to point polygons, then append data to it and handle the processing.  I always got close, but never quite there.

Then I found Alteryx.

I'm able to hide the part of the logic for writing out the KML inside of a macro, and the part of the logic that formats the shape file and data file outside of it.  After 7 years of dabbling, I finally built the tool that I had always wanted!

GE map sample.PNG

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Ok, I'm not proud of this (that's an utter lie, of course I am) but I had been in a dispute with a company over the refunding of a faulty item I had purchased. This went on for a while until they stopped returning my calls and emails.

I used alteryx to scrape the contact details of the company directors, built a report which generated an output email which was automatically emailed to each director every hour on the hour until the situation resolved itself.

I received a full refund within the day.

Bulien

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@mceleavey -- wow! That is crazy!  No one needs to know you weren't slaving away at your computer writing emails every hour :)

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Making you look amazing, covering vast amounts of work that surely can't be done by one person is exactly what Alteryx is for.

Don't tell my boss though, obviously.

Bulien

Labels