Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Developer Community | What would you share?

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

GOT THOUGHTS_dev.png

If you didn't get a chance to watch the Product Keynote at Inspire Europe, you may have missed @AshleyK's exciting announcement of our plans to launch a Developer Community.

"The developer community will serve as a hub for collaboration and discovery, connecting developers all over the world to build exciting new innovations in Alteryx."

Now that we're all up to speed, I wanted to throw a few questions out to the Community, that I hope will initiate some interesting, if not heated, conversations.

Question:

What do you consider "Alteryx Developer" content? What would you share on the Developer Community? 

Does a bad-ass Macro that pushes the limits of what you thought was possible with Alteryx, belong on the developer community?

Please share as much or as little as you like.  We can't wait to hear your thoughts!

17 REPLIES 17
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'd speak to @TashaA

LeahK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Welcome @Hiblet! It sounds like you have a lot to contribute, and we'll make sure to keep you posted on when the Developer area of the community becomes available (VERY SOON!)

The Engine Works Blog features a great deal of Developer content today, and will continue to do so going forward.  That said, as you've pointed out... there isn't really a place for people to share things and ask questions about Alteryx Developer-y things in a less formal way, which is something we hope to provide via the Developer Community.  I would absolutely encourage you to contribute to Engine Works as well, and will have @TaraM (our Community Content Manager) get in touch with you directly.

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Hi @LeahK,

Thanks for that, I will rough out what the blog post would cover, and wait for @TaraM to get back to me.

Many thanks,

Steve

TaraM
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Hiblet - we'd love to have you contribute to Engine works! Feel free to draft up a post and send it to community@alteryx.com and we'll go from there.

Thanks

Tara

Tara McCoy
Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Hi @TaraM,

Have been getting a lot of work coming my way, but I have my own notes on how to fix up a C# plugin, which will form the roots of a post.  I want to include how to debug, and how to find errors, that kind of stuff.

One quick question; I have seen James D. @jdunkerley79 has been able to add functions to the Formula tool.  Is there any documentation on how to do this?  I am working on an OAuth 1.0 connection, and I came across the need to add a hashing function for HMAC-SHA1.  I wrote a plugin tool to do it, but it occurred to me that this would be a really useful Formula tool function.

[I figured out how the INI file works.  The INI file can be any name.  It points to a distinct sub-directory to locate the tool DLL.  Basically it only works if you put your tool file in a separate directory from the main bin.  Now it works, and that kind of thing I can include in the post.]

No rush, like I said, I've written a tool to hash, but if there is any documentation on writing add in functions for the Formula tool, I would love to see it.  I also appreciate you may not want people writing their own formulas willy-nilly, and that's OK too.

Cheers,

Steve

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

One thing I would like to see in a Developer Community is a set of testing macros or workflows that cover a standard variety of workflow situations and allow people to check their macros before making them available to the general public.  I.e. if the macro errors, is there a message tool configured to explain that error, does the macro require an odd or narrow input, does the output change unexpectedly with different use cases, etc.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @Hiblet,

I presented an introduction to the SDKs at the Data School the other week. I put the slides online at https://www.slideshare.net/secret/tqpm2QlMY4Zm65

It includes a slide or two on formula add-ins and a couple of links to samples (one in XML and one in C++).

On the XML side, I did a blog post ages ago - https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2016/08/13/beyond-alteryx-macros-part-2-how-to-create-an-xml-macro-function...

The source code for the Abacus add-ins are available online. If you want to add the HMAC-SHA function there more than happy to accept a PR.

https://github.com/jdunkerley/AlteryxFormulaAddOns/

Like you I did the hashing as a tool in the OmniBus tools. I think it makes sense being moved into the function library so may do in a future release.

James

Hiblet
10 - Fireball

Brilliant, I will have a chew on those links, many thanks.

Labels