Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Welcome & Introductions

Get to know the people behind the avatar! Introduce yourself, welcome peers, build connections & extend your network.

Take a moment to introduce yourself to the Community. We'd love to get to know you!

Learn More

New to Alteryx and the Alteryx for Good program

fanpro
7 - Meteor

Hello all,  I recently left Boeing and am looking at gaining skills in Data Analytics.  I have worked extensively with big data and manages large data sets in my systems engineering and project engineering roles.  Data has always had big impacts wherever I have worked in industry.  I have an interest in using data to improve our world.  Some areas I know about are aerospace, building construction, ship building, HVAC design, construction project management, project scheduling. Areas I would like to learn more about and apply data skills include:  travel and recreation, teaching, transportation, tracking the virus and COVID-19 transmission.

I look forward to learning all about the tools Alteryx is pioneering and applying them to some of the worlds big data problems.  In the end its all about understanding the data and using it to solve our most pressing problems.  I believe this is how we will ultimately succeed and prevail.

thanks for reading my intro!  -Chris Ashe

6 REPLIES 6
FláviaB
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Welcome to our amazing Community, @fanpro. I am sure you will find that out yourself, but I can't stress enough about how many Alteryx experts and ehnthusiastics we have in here to help you throughout this beautiful journey of Data Analytics. 

Since you mentioned that one of the areas that you are looking into it is Transportation, I want to share some of our Use Cases in the industry. In fact, you can use the filter there to search by industry, region, or solutions, for example. 

Now, to learn about the tools, the best bet is starting with some videos like the Getting Started with Alteryx Designer

Have fun! 

-Flávia

Flávia Brancato
fanpro
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the tips Flavia!  I will watch the video and take a look at the info on transportation.  -Chris

fanpro
7 - Meteor
Hi Flavia, I watched the getting started training video and it was really nicely done. Christine is a great instructor. I took lots of notes to help me remember as I know it always looks easier than it really is!

Now I would like to practice and to start I could recreate the data stream in the training video. So is there some similar data available you can send or point me to that I an use to start using designer and getting used to using the tools?

thanks again! -Chris
TreyW
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@fanpro yes - check out the weekly challenges to test your skills! Note the "Labels" component on the right - you can sort by tools or by "beginner" so you can test out your skills! 

Senior Manager, Community Platform + Operations at Alteryx

StephV
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @fanpro

Thanks for introducing yourself to the Community and welcome to Alteryx family!

We recently launched an Industry Discussions forum to engage on your specific domain of expertise. We are building up content with our members, as you have great experience from Boeing we would really appreciate your contributions. 

I also recommend you the Podcast 56: Analytics vs. COVID-19  with Alan Jacobson and the scientific journalist David Quammen about COVID-19 and also this article "COVID-19 | Data Sources" which consolidates various data sources shared across the community. 

Cheers, 

Steph Vitale-Havreng
fanpro
7 - Meteor
Hi Steph, Thanks for the note. I took the intro training and want to start building. But my install of the Designer software is not letting me Run (cntrl-R). I need a license or key I guess. Where do I get that. I am unemployed so I have signed up for the Alteryx for Good program. Do I have to be approved first or can I get a training license now? I just want to get trained up and learn. Not doing any work with it other than maybe hobbies and training simulations.

Cheers,

Chris
Labels