Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Welcome & Introductions

Get to know the people behind the avatar! Introduce yourself, welcome peers, build connections & extend your network.

Take a moment to introduce yourself to the Community. We'd love to get to know you!

Learn More

Mansoor Ahmad, CSUF MSAcc Student, and Analyst in Financial Services and the Finance World

MansoorAhmad03
5 - Atom

Hello Everyone in the Alteryx Community,

I am a Masters of Science in Accountancy Student at Cal State University, Fullerton in the US.

I also work in the Finance World and am in the Financial Services industry.

Some of the languages I know are Python, SQL with SQL Server, R, VBA for MS Access and Excel, and I've also worked with HTML and PERL in the early 2000's.

I'm currently a student of Professor April Morris's Class (Accounting Analytics), as shown in her thread here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Welcome-Introductions/Introducing-Alteryx-to-Accounting-Students-at...

A little bit about myself. When I was in undergrad, I never knew I would enjoy technical or analytical work or development.

In Undergrad, I thought I would just end up in Public Accounting or Private Company Accounting without using any of these tools. They were not part of any classes or our BS of Accounting curriculum.

When  I graduated in 2014, I performed clerical accounting (Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Billing) for my first year of work.

On my first contract assignment in 2015, I found I liked automating simple workbooks in excel, and working through projects. So I started with the smaller projects.

After that, I ended up in Procurement for about 1 1/2 years. Some of the projects I worked through included a data conversion from an obsolete system for use in purchase order packets. As well as a global raw-material vendor-wide RFP/Q (request for proposal) for another manufacturing firm. I also automated demand reports using VBA for one other assignment/company.

When the economy got better, I got hired permanently into my first Financial Services company in 2017. There my supervisor forced me to teach myself SQL using SQL server without any help except a few online guides he directed me to. That was the first real language I learned in recent years, and I picked it up within a matter of 2-3 weeks before starting various projects in the Accounting department for the company and automating tasks and processes with the company's databases in SQL (such as the clearing account reconciliation process).

It was around that time I regretted not looking into either an Information Systems degree or Computer Science degree in undergrad.

So the next company, where I currently work, kept me as one of their go-to guys for all SQL and Database-related tasks for the Investor Reporting department. Here I also interface with the process improvement team, who work with me time to time using queries I've developed for our internal-use software or other projects. This includes any normal analyst-level departmental tasks that all the normal team members also perform.

In 2019, when I found the opportunity to take Data Science and Analytics classes as a part of my curriculum for my Master's program, I jumped at the opportunity.

I hope to become certified in Alteryx as a part of Professor Morris's class requirements, and keep it as an additional tool on my toolkit for the future years. I am very glad to have become a part of this community.

1 REPLY 1
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Welcome @MansoorAhmad03 Best of luck. If you need help just reach out! 🙂

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels