Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #76: Strava Export Parse and Report

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Got to have some fun with the Reporting Tools on this one!

Spoiler
challenge76.jpg
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

My solution. I also filled in the time gaps for consistency, since the tools don't let you plot time on the horizontal axis.

Fun challenge!

jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Here's my solution.

Spoiler
challenge-76.png
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Capture3.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture.PNG
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

I forgot how bad the report tools were! Bring on plot.ly integration!

Spoiler
Weekly Challenge 76.pngWeekly Challenge 76 output.png

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So - very similar solution to most of the solutions already provided

@JoeM - thank you for the XML exercise - the more XML and JSON and API work we can pack in, the better.

Spoiler
The bad:
- I didn't spot the date regularity issues that @Joe_Mako and @estherb47 used.   Nice Catch!
- Also realise that I'm mixing units - elevation in meters but speed in MPH - @nick_ceneviva

the good: 
But I did get a good excuse to play with the visual layout tool, and native XML importing using the input tool.
Also put the report together with some summary info on the top

2017-10-02_23-52-44.png

The output: 

2017-10-03_0-14-40.png

Natasha
9 - Comet

As always, the most time was spent on making the charting tool to do what I want, which is frustrating especially after using Tableau on an every day basis.

Spoiler
I am not familiar with GPX files, but the first hit in Google told me that GPX, or GPS Exchange Format, is an XML schema designed as a common GPS data format for software applications. 

I input provided txt file as XML file which saved me a lot of parsing. A little bit of metadata from the first rows was lost though it was not essential for this exercise. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 15.22.40.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-12 at 15.16.58.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-12 at 15.17.27.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-12 at 15.17.36.png

LandonG
8 - Asteroid

Solution attached.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

The reporting tools continue to confound, perplex and bamboozle me. Solution attached.

Spoiler
challenge_76 - Snip.PNG
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Used tableau with a mapbox background to map the route.  Created a dashboard with the elevation and map.  Zipped file with workflow and tableau file below.