Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #439: Nuclear Power Around the World

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maveryx_WC_Banner.png

Hi Maveryx, 

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

In this week’s challenge, you want to uncover key statistics about countries that use nuclear power. However, the data files you were provided are raw and unprepared. Your goal is to clean them up and then answer the following questions:

1. Which country experienced the most significant decrease in nuclear capacity from one noted year to the next adjacent noted year?
  1. Which country saw the most significant drop in nuclear units from 1995 to 2022?
  2. Which country has the highest average percentage use of nuclear power?

Data source: https://www.iaea.org/publications/15485/nuclear-power-reactors-in-the-world

Good luck! 

mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

C439

Spoiler
Wasn't able to match Q3 answer but will keep looking to see if I'm missing something
c439.png
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
I also got an answer that varied for part 3. Also, it looks like "TOTAL" was included instead of Argentina in the provided solution
image.png
olga_strubbe
11 - Bolide

This was a tricky one.  I liked the solution offered by @mmontgomery  using 'Arrange' tool.  I tried to use other data wrangling but concluded the 'Arrange' tool did a better job in re-arranging the data.  Thank you, @mmontgomery for the tip on this!

Please note I've excluded 'Total' rows from the 'Country' field - my result is, therefore, slightly different as I am only comparing countries themselves.  

2024-08-26_17-25-30.png

TurboToad
10 - Fireball

Noticed some issues with the provided output but think I got the idea.

Spoiler
439.PNG

#11.PNG#22.PNG

#33.PNG

  

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

I have excluded the  "TOTAL" from result and the data for  "Argentina" is missing in all 3 questions in the provided solution.

Spoiler
Challenge_439.png
halithe
5 - Atom

イアン
6 - Meteoroid

Not the most elegant solution, but it works 😶

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-08-27 154245.png
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
image.png

Not particularly pretty (although should be dynamic to changing source files) could also have put it in a macro if i wasn't trying to complete as quickly as possible. Noticed some weirdness in the expected outputs like including total in a country analysis output. I cannot understand Belarus' most significant capacity decrease being the only capacity value its ever reported this is not a decrease.
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
439.jpg