Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #393: Find the Best Yarn

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

UserGroup_Takeover_Banner.png

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here. 

This challenge is another selection for the Weekly Challenge User Group October Takeover event, and it was contributed by @Charity_K_Wilson, a member of the Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas User Group. We would like to thank Charity Wilson-Perez for your contribution, and we hope everyone enjoys tackling this challenge! 

Image for Post.jpgIn recent years, yarn hobbies such as knitting and crocheting have been gaining in popularity. You decide to knit a warm scarf just in time for winter, and you want to use high-quality materials so it will last for years to come. Use the provided dataset to determine which types of yarn consistently receive the highest ratings and what kind of fiber you should choose to knit an amazing scarf.  

Your tasks for this challenge are as follows: 

1. Identify the primary fiber content per yarn ID. Since many yarns are blends of multiple fibers, you want to have just one fiber associated with each yarn.  
  2. Determine which category of fiber has the highest average rating (animal, vegetable, or synthetic). What is the corresponding average rating?  
  3. Within the highest-ranked fiber category, identify the specific fiber type that receives the highest ratings. You want to base your analysis on consistent ratings, so only consider fibers with a minimum of 50 ratings. 

Source: https://github.com/awalsh17/ravelry_yarns/tree/main/data  

alacoume
9 - Comet

My solution. I cannot find exactly the same output for task 2 and 3, so i have probably missed something!

Spoiler
Challenge_393.jpg 

ahsanaali
11 - Bolide

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-10-16 181437.png

RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
393.jpg
dwstada
11 - Bolide

my solution, 2nd place average rating for task 2 is off by 0.000378 for me and I don't know why...

Spoiler
c393.PNG

mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

Similar to others - slightly off on part 2

Spoiler
Workflow_393.png
AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution.
My result on task 2 is exactly not the same.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-10-17 010630.png
Actually some yarn_id have the same highest percentage. But I can not understand how to sort the data to match the sample result using Designer Cloud. I think that it is the AMP Engine's rule.

スクリーンショット 2023-10-17 011423.png

PrinceAli64
6 - Meteoroid

Same issue as others - task 2, 2nd place is slightly off.

Spoiler
2023-10-16_10-59-14.png

JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
image.png

Doesn't seem like particularly solid analysis

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
image.png