Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #33: Reshaping Nielsen Data

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
Workflow.png
SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I love seeing how everyone approached this one!

Rob-Silk
8 - Asteroid

My solution below:

Spoiler
challenge_33_RS_screencap.PNG
Amy_smart
11 - Bolide

Here is my solution.

fluteman
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I solved this problem a little differently. Rather than use Alteryx exclusively to solve this one, I examined this in excel and copied the tables within the document into the alteryx as their own data sources through the copy and paste feature. The poor data really hurt my eyes.

There are three tables and "notes"; the master table listing all the surveys; the periodic detail based on population and viewership and then a highlevel summary table at the end. I focused solely on the first two tables. The data was grouped into blocks of 5; which eventually became blocks of 3 - then I used multi-row formula to id each row and split out the key data points from each row.

Row 1: viewship population for 12+; 25-45

Row 2: in-Tab population for 12+; 25-45

Row 3: ratings. (lots of data points).

Then a couple of joins later it is in one table.

Hope this gives you a lateral way of looking at this problem.

Fluteman!

olga_strubbe
11 - Bolide

Thank you, @GeneR1!  This was quite a challenge with cleaning the data, I almost got lost in it myself :)

I followed a similar approach as in the solution provided - RegEx formulas seemed a way to go!

2024-01-24_15-06-38.png

abbyabbypoon
8 - Asteroid

ex33.png

asultanov
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-01-30 103752.png
snbandi
8 - Asteroid

My messy solution to really messy data. Need to get better at these.

Computernerd
8 - Asteroid

Figuring out where the data was is the key here